Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Attaching circuit playground to Audio FX board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Attaching circuit playground to Audio FX board

by wavewasp on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am

Can an Adafruit audio FX board be used as a mod for the Circuit playground express?

How I intend to do this is by soldering these connections; 3.3v on the playground to where the power goes into the Audio FX, The ground on the playground to the ground equivalent on the Audio FX and pin A3 on the playground to a trigger pin on the Audio FX.
I would power this set up with a mains usb adapter.

The idea is I could code with make-code and play audio files.

I am aware the playground by itself has the hardware to play wave files but only if programmed with circuit python. But as I have complained in another post, I find it impossible to download.

wavewasp

Re: Attaching circuit playground to Audio FX board

by dastels on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:10 pm

That should work. You can also use Tx/Rx to control the board via serial (as in https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-audio-fx-sound-board/serial-audio-control) which would give you full control. You need to add/enable the Serial extension in Makecode.

Dave

dastels

by wavewasp on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I have done it and it works. Thanks.

What I am making is a lucid dream induction device.

wavewasp

by wavewasp on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 am

Can using TX and RX control the board in Makecode or just Circuit Python?

In Makecode I have got the physmod to play tracks. I have soldered the 3V on the playground to the vin on the sound board, The ground on the sound board to the ground on the playground, and pin A6 (RX) on the playground to Io 0 on the sound board.

To play in Makecode I digital write pin A6 high as the first instruction in the code. To play the track, I write the pin low for 100 microseconds then write it high again.

wavewasp

by dastels on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I expect it will work in Makecode. There's a serial extension that can send strings to the port. That should do it.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.