Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Trouble getting Cricket rover to work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trouble getting Cricket rover to work

by dhackos on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 pm

I have build the Cricket Rover as described in https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /downloads.
I can also upload the software, which causes lights and sounds to play while it is connected by USB to my computer.

However, when I have the battery attached to the cricket, I don't seem to have any power going to the circuit playground. This is not described well in the Adafruit documentation. Do I need to connect the cricket in some way to the circuit playground? Right now the only connection is 6 brass standoffs.

PLease help me!!!

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
IMG_1890-small.jpg
IMG_1890-small.jpg (903.26 KiB) Viewed 40 times

dhackos

Re: Trouble getting Cricket rover to work

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:16 am

The Crickit should provide power to the Circuit Playground via the brass standoffs connected to the GND and VOUT pins. If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage between those two points.

adafruit_support_bill

by dhackos on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:52 pm

I figured out the problem. I had accidentally ordered AA battery packs from Adafruit that use 5 AA batteries instead of 4. I was therefore delivering the wrong voltage to the Cricket. I only figured this out when I upgraded the firmware on the cricket and it started blinking the red light indicating a voltage problem, which I then traced down to the battery pack. I’m not sure why Adafruit even sells the 5 AA battery pack - I must have not noticed this when I placed the order. Anyway - it works perfectly now...

dhackos

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Good to hear you solved it.
I’m not sure why Adafruit even sells the 5 AA battery pack

A 5xAA pack filled with 1.2v rechargeable cells (e.g. Eneloop) delivers the same voltage as a 4xAA pack filled with 1.5v Alkaline cells.

adafruit_support_bill

by dhackos on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Interesting! In fact I AM using 1.2 volt eneloop batteries! But it still didn’t work with five batteries - I needed to go to 4. I did this by shorting the fifth battery compartment (with battery removed). It therefore works with 4 eneloop (but not 5) batteries.

I measured the voltage on my eneloops and I get 1.36 volts. Perhaps this is putting it over the threshold. Thanks for providing the blinking red voltage error indicator on the cricket or I would not have figured this out. Interestingly the red indicator light didn’t work until up updated the uf2 on the cricket.

dhackos

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:37 pm

The Crickit is designed for up to 5v power. So 3x Alkaline or 4x Eneloops would be appropriate.

But there are many devices like classic Arduinos that need 6v or more. And some LED strips and motors that need up to 12v. We stock battery holders in a variety of sizes ranging from single cell holders up to 8 cell holders.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.