Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PCB files for CP Proto Gizmo
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PCB files for CP Proto Gizmo

by Hellweaver666 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 am

Hi Adafruit,

So I've started down this weird road of wanting to make a 4 button macro keyboard using a Circuit Playground Express. I've used Arduino in the past and Python on the Raspberry Pi and wanted to have my first play with Circuit Python and this seemed like a good project to get started with.

IMG_8997_small.jpg
IMG_8997_small.jpg (319.08 KiB) Viewed 37 times

So, a quick breadboard experiment later and I have a macro pad doing exactly what I want. It's kind of janky though and definitely not quite good enough. I've ordered a proto-gizmo so that I can make this more of a permanent fixture, but my mind is already planning the next steps... I thought it would be cool to build a PCB like the proto-gizmo that lets me add some Cherry key switches on top of the circuit playground for that wonderful clicky feel.

I have zero experience designing PCB's but my initial research has led me to find that you can get PCB "templates" for the cherry switches and I was thinking if I could get the PCB files for the proto-gizmo it should be pretty simple to combine the two, add a few traces and send it off to OSHpark or similar and have myself an awesome clicky-keyboard gizmo for Circuit playground!

I've found some circuit playground PCB designs but I thought maybe the proto-gizmo would be the easiest to start from.

Can anyone please hook me up?

Hellweaver666

Re: PCB files for CP Proto Gizmo

by Hellweaver666 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:16 am

So... I think I figured this out a bit. I managed to use the TFT gizmo as my foundation. Quickly deleted all the unnecessary stuff, dropped in some library files for cherry MX key caps, dragged a few traces and I *think* I'm done. Exported the gerber files and sent them off to JLCPCB (cos they're soooo cheap). I have NO idea if this thing is going to work :D

Adafruit Circuit Playground TFT Gizmo.png
Adafruit Circuit Playground TFT Gizmo.png (353.98 KiB) Viewed 35 times

Wish me luck!

PS, thanks to Adafruit for sharing their files - this is something I never thought I would be able to do, but having access to the original PCB designs made this a MILLION times easier. You folks rock!

Hellweaver666

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.