Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

MakeCode Deletes all of my Projects
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MakeCode Deletes all of my Projects

by taylorroan on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:10 am

Hi Guys,

I've had this happen a couple of times & really frustrating. I've been using make code (makecode.adafruit.com) to program some Circuit Playground Expresses with my kids - it's been AMAZING. But every once in a while, ALL of our project just disappear, like clean slate. I made sure I'm logged into Microsoft & Adafruit, but no way to get them back each time from what I can tell.

Any way to get them back?!?? Anybody else having this issue? Some of our programs were super complicated & took a long time to make, so really sad. If not, is there a desktop version I can use to save them locally? Or do you recommend another IDE? If there is the simulator, that helps a ton... I searched the forums, but wasn't able to find anything about this, so sorry if a repost.

taylorroan

Re: MakeCode Deletes all of my Projects

by mikeysklar on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 pm

I've heard of complications around this before since the web browser is caching projects.

Were you able to publish/share at any point during development?

Here is a forum thread that briefly discusses what is happening and upcoming changes Microsoft plans to make to MakeCode.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=144770&p=715654&hilit=makecode+deleted#p715654

Another from the MakeCode FAQ:

https://makecode.microbit.org/faq

mikeysklar

by taylorroan on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:16 am

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply @mikeysklar. I had published a few of them to share with friends. But from what I can tell, the published versions are snapshots & don't actually update as you continue to develop the code. I definitely hope they fix it. I can't tell you the number of times different websites have issues & the first step is to flush your cache & cookies... Not a great place to store important product information...

Any idea if we will get a downloadable version (a la Arduino) or a proper cloud system (a la Google Docs)? Until one of those exist, I can't really build anything too cool (longer than a few evenings of hobby time) with any confidence.

Is there a slick CircuitPython approach or something that everyone loves & has great forums & support? Recs on IDEs?

taylorroan

by mikeysklar on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm not sure what the future holds for MakeCode, but for the time being you can save your UF2 files or share your code and keep track of the links:

https://learn.adafruit.com/makecode-mak ... nd-sharing

It does look like Microbit has plans to release an off-line version which should be more IDE like.

https://microbit.org/

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.