Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

CP Express light ring lights not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CP Express light ring lights not working

by rhenry01 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi eveyone, hope you are all safe and secure.

A year or so ago I bought a circuit playground express for my 8 year old grandson. I wanted to test it out before he and I started programming with it. I tried and tried to make the CPE work but got nowhere. I put the CPE away and didn't get back to it until yesterday, wanted him to have it for the summer to learn to code. Well I started with makecode, put together a simple light program and downloaded it to the CPE and ....... nothing. I went through the troubleshooting guide and updated the bootloader and decided to try the Siren toturial. So, onshake made the siren go off but the lights refuse to work. I did ensure the brightness was set to 100 just in case.

Any helpful tips? Any diagnostic programs out there? Do you think I have a defective CPE??

Thanks!!
rhenry01

Re: CP Express light ring lights not working

by rhenry01 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:23 pm

And a little further programming I have verified that the motion sensor speaker, A&B switches, microphone and light level detector are all working. I haven't tested the IR rx/tx or the temperature sensor. I have it working great in the makecode editor, even paired it so the downloads work flawlessly, placing the CPE in bootloader mode, downloading the programs and them putting it back in

Just the NeoPixels of not working.
rhenry01

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Do the NeoPixels come on when you put the board in bootloader mode for uploading? As described here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... -2886259-2

adafruit_support_carter

by rhenry01 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 pm

No, They don't come on. I don't think I have ever seen them on for any reason.
rhenry01

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:55 pm

OK, and just to be sure - you are seeing the CPLAYBOOT drive? Seems like you are if you are able to upload Makecode sketches.

adafruit_support_carter

by rhenry01 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 am

Yes, I see the drive. I have successfully uploaded several sketches to test out other functionality of the CPE.
rhenry01

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm

It seems like you may have an issue with the NeoPixel's then. They are chained together, so if there is a bad pixel or some other break in the chain, then the remaining downstream pixels won't work. In your case, it seems like it's the very first pixel, so none of them are working.

The bootloader also uses the NeoPixel to indicate status. All green if everything is OK. All red if there is an issue with USB and talking to the host PC. So not seeing any NeoPixels even when in bootloader mode further indicates a hardware issue.

Unfortunately your board is also over a year old, which is beyond our return limit. But the main processor is still working as well as most of the other peripherals. So you can still use it for those.

adafruit_support_carter

by rhenry01 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks for the help! I'll make sure to test out the new ones when they get here. I like the CPE so I'm going to get two more, one for me and one for my grandson. He is going to learn to code using the CPE and we'll program together using webcams and screen sharing since he is 700 miles away. Having a hardware device I think will motivate him to learn.

Stay safe and again thanks for the help!
rhenry01

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks for the nice words. Sorry that one CP is giving you grief with the NeoPixels. If the new ones show anything like this, we can replace it (after trying to troubleshoot).

adafruit_support_carter

by rhenry01 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 pm

Oh, Hey, I looked up my receipt and I bought it on July, 3 2019. Is it still under warranty??
rhenry01

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm

Sorry, but that's too far back. Our return policy details are here:
https://www.adafruit.com/shipping
It's a relatively short time period of only 30 days.

adafruit_support_carter

by rhenry01 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm

;) Thanks!!
rhenry01

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.