Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Bluefruit cannot connect on my MAC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bluefruit cannot connect on my MAC

by dogsalty on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello,
My Circuit Playground Bluefruit is not showing up in my finder window? I attempted to connect it with one of my older Macs and not luck. I also attempted to connect it to a windows machine also with no luck. I swapped USB cables and no luck? When I plug it in via USB all the LEDs come on then the red boot LED blinks and then the green "On" Led stays illuminated but no others. Is there anymore tricks to getting my computer to recognize this device or could it be a faulty board? Any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you.
G

dogsalty

Re: Bluefruit cannot connect on my MAC

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi G,

Can you try connecting to your CPX Bluefruit using the iOS App : "Adafruit Bluefruit Connect". At least that way we can confirm that your device is functioning correctly.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... le-connect

mikeysklar

by dogsalty on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for your speedy response.
I have attempted connecting through the Bluefruit le Connect via bluetooth and the playground is not showing up as an option to connect to bluetooth? Is there something that I need to do in order for the playground to start transmitting bluetooth?
Thanks in advance for your info.
G

dogsalty

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm

G,

You will need to load up an App like the ColorPicker on your Circut Playground Express first. Go ahead and plug your CPX into your Mac and copy the code.py file in this example. Am I correct in assuming you are running CircuitPython?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... lor-picker

mikeysklar

by dogsalty on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Hello,
Sorry I am a bit new at this.
"Plug your Circuit Playground Bluefruit into your computer, and save the following as code.py on the CIRCUITPY drive:"
So my main issue is that I am not seeing the CIRCUITPY drive in my finder - so I cannot write anything to it? I am using MakeCode but I have not been able to download any code to the device because it is not showing up on my list of drives or external devices.
Any help is appreciated!
G

dogsalty

by mikeysklar on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 pm

G,

Have you physically plugged your Circuit Playground Express into your mac with a known good USB cable? That is how it will show up as a drive on your computer (not through bluetooth). We have a guide for CircuitPython, but not really one for MakeCode on this device.

https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... ings-first

mikeysklar

by dogsalty on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes, I have physically plugged in the Circuit Playground Bluefruit into my mac with 2 seperate USB cables and it does not come up as a drive. CircuitPython is no help if I cannot mount the device - so my issue is being able to mount the device in my finder of my MAC. I have tried an older mac runnig 10.13.4 as well as a new mac runnig 10.14.6 - I also tried a windows machine and I cannot get any computer to recognize the Bluefruit as a USB drive or anything else. Nothing comes up.
Thank you.
G

dogsalty

by mikeysklar on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Gotcha.

The USB cables you are using are they known good DATA cables? Do you have another device arduino or CircuitPython board you can plugin to confirm the cables are good?

mikeysklar

by dogsalty on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Yes, they are good data cables.
I do not have any other devices to check the port. But I have tried it on all my USB ports on all my computers and none seem to work.
Thanks
G

dogsalty

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.