Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can't upload to Circuit Playground
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't upload to Circuit Playground

by Mike88 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:48 am

I received a new Circuit Playground that I think may be defective. THough hopefully I'm just missing something...
The 'new' board came running a 'demo' program (is that normal?) but it doesn't quite match the Demo program that is part of the Arduino IDE software package - the one I have seems to be missing some serial output strings.

I can put it in to Bootloader mode and then can see the board as a drive (CPLAYBTBOOT). It has 3 files: Current.uf2, Index.HTM, and INFO_UF2.TXT.
CURRENT.UF2 will not open with software. I tried MakeCode (which uses the UF2 extension) & Arduino-IDE. On Win 7 and Win 10 PC's. same results regardless of Oper Sys.
Index is just a link to https://www.adafruit.com/product/4300;
and Info.txt file contains the following...
UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019

The board will not accept an upload. Tried Arduino-IDE & MS MakeCode. Both give errors and fail to upload. *Note - code compiles ok for both example programs that came with the software and simple ones I created, but will not upload.
I can export the program as a file and copy the file to the drive while in Bootloader mode, but it disappears as soon as I leave Bootloader. It just goes back to running the same CURRENT.UF2 program. Which I also can not delete.

One other possible oddity is that it uses a different com port (to my PC) when in Bootloader mode vs 'run' mode. While running it's demo program (Current.uf2 I assume) I can connect with the serial monitor (part of Arduino IDE) and see the output strings. I can not write any commands to the board though. At least it ignores anything I send to it.

Help!

Mike88

Re: Can't upload to Circuit Playground

by dastels on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Firstly, you seem to have a CircuitPlayground Express; there are 3 different models of CircuitPlaygrounds (classic, Express, and Bluefruit).

The behavior of CPLAYBOOT is as expected. It's basically just a place to which to copy UF2 files which are typically builds of CircutPython or programs generated by Makecode.

Do you have a CIRCUITPY drive mount when you don't have the CPLAYBOOT drive?

Demo programs change over time. That shouldn't be a concern.

No, the failures to upload. Both give errors (Makecode and Arduino). Can you post the exact and complete error output?

And how are you attempting the uploads? Please be detailed.

Dave

dastels

by Mike88 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Sorry, I should have been more explicit - I have the Bluefruit model.

I do not see CIRCUITPY at any time. Hopefully that helps explain / pinpoint my problem.

I've tried uploading with Arduino IDE. This is after following the procedure outlined on the Adafruit link--> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... rduino-ide. I've also tried using Makecode which really just amounts to clicking download. The Makecode error message I get is attached as jpg: '...couldn't find...'. Note - I'm in Bootloader mode and can see the board listed in Explorer (CTPLAYBTBOOT).

It was a similar error message with Arduino IDE -

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows Store 1.8.39.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Circuit Playground"
Sketch uses 12162 bytes (42%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 938 bytes of dynamic memory.
PORTS {COM8, } / {COM8, } => {}
... repeated ~ 40 times....
PORTS {COM8, } / {COM8, } => {}
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

One other note - I have to press the reset button twice to enter Bootloader mode. I read a comment while searching for a solution that indicated it should only be a single click...? Also I noticed it will kick itself out of Bootloader mode after a few minutes. Wasn't sure if that's normal or indicative of my problem.
Attachments
Download_Error Message.jpg
Download_Error Message.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Mike88

by dastels on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Make sure you are selecting the correct board. As I said, while they look similar they are very different.

Dave

dastels

by ScottBlevins on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:14 pm

I have a Circuit Playground Bluefruit and have the same issue.
I can update the UF2 if I change between the latest posted UF2 and the Beta version. I have confirmed this by checking the file size and also because it reboots when the UF2 is loaded. I can also drop sketches into it using the MU editor. However, when I try to use makecode either as a makecode file or as a Javascipt file; when I try to down load the UF2 to the device, it will just stay in Bootloader mode (i.e. the green lights will stay lit up). It will not reset. However, as the other user stated, it says that it copies the file over. If you use file explorer to explore to the CPLAYBOOT drive it will show the file as having successfully downloaded. Unfortunately because it never leaves out of bootloader mode when you eventually give up, or it times out, it goes back to the previous Current UF2 file. I have also noticed that the Index file point to https://www.adafruit.com/product/4300 which doesn't seem correct. Like I said, I can switch between adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-5.3.0 and adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-6.0.0-alpha.1 and it does like it is supposed to, just not from MakeCode.

ScottBlevins

by dastels on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 pm

ScottBlevins this is a completely different issue. Please make a new thread for it.

Dave

dastels

by ScottBlevins on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 pm

I don’t think so. I have the same problem. When I try and load any UF2 file from make code it will compile and show that it is saving but when I exit boot loader mode it disappears. I also get the same error he presented if I try to go through the MS app. I simply orovided additional information from my troubleshooting

ScottBlevins

by dastels on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:20 am

Mike88 had an issue with uploading from Arduino. Please make a new thread.

dastels

by randompreferences on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:51 pm

Is the same issue, nota different thread don't be stubborn.

Blefruit is having issues by not allowing new code to be "compiled" or what ever the board does when is on CIRCUITBOOT and a new file gets in.

I only was able to sucesfully load 1 single file and was a file given by an admin in this forums :
maker-CPB_Rainbow.uf2
ADMIN FILE
(245.5 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

But as many users are stating, the Bluefruit never elaves Bootloader mode, and after some time it restart it self by shut down, but not by sucesfully compiling or excuting the new file.

And the same happens with arduino although arduino should work different than just draggin a file, it has the same behaviour:
"ignores any load file in to the baord in bootloader mode, and after sometime it restarts but to erase everything that was in the bootloader, going back to the previous CURRENT.UF2"

Now mine alawyas go back to The rainbow one, but that admin is not explaining how hiw compiled that file, where did he make it, why is not arduino or makecode uploading files sucesfully.!

I know this doesn't happen with the Express board ... is just the bluefruit and probbaly a compatibility firmware in arduino IDE and makecode.
But as I said in other threads, using now 3 computers, with all addafruit drivers isntalled, the board isnt recognized as adafruit but just a standard COM

randompreferences

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.