Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Circuit Playground Express -Device Descriptor Request Failed
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuit Playground Express -Device Descriptor Request Failed

by spyrdzy on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:30 am

Hello Adafruit Forums,

I'm having some difficulties with my Adafruit Playground Express shortly after trying to use it.
The device was purchased last year, however has sat in my arsenal of available microcontroller boards unused until now.
While writing an Arduino library, I realised the number of inputs/outputs baked into the Playground Express would be helpful so plugged it in.

As with any board, I used the Arduino Boards Manager to install the correct board into my IDE, and selected it confirming the correct COM port.
I uploaded the default blink sketch to make sure that things were working correctly, and they did after the device reset itself automatically.

After writing some arbitrary code to define inputs/outputs of the led, temperature, light, sound and buttons/switches to pins. I went to upload the sketch.
However when I went to upload this, the sketch tried and failed to upload, and then the board was not available. Originally it was on COM9 on my Windows 10 machine.

At the time of uploading the second sketch and today, the board reads as 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)' in device manager.
The full status is: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

After reading similar Adafruit forum posts, I've tried the following troubleshooting:
- Reconnecting the device via another USB port (I've tried both USB3 and USB2 ports)
- Trying with another USB cable (I've tried two cables, neither work with this device but do work with others like my ESP32's)
- Trying via specifically a USB2.0 hub (II used my Sparkfun Cerberus cable which has one built in)
- Uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers directly from the Adafruit website (I've done this, however since the device descriptor failed it doesn't help)
- Specifying the drivers for the device specifically using Device Manager (however since there's no device descriptor, it can't match them)
- Holding down the reset/button A/ button B in all permutations in case the device has some kind of built in reset function part of the bootloader

So far as the condition of the device:
- It's been brand new and kept with my other microcontrollers in a plastic container with silica beads (other devices are fine)
- The Circuit PlayGround Express has nothing connected to it in terms of circuitry, only the MicroUSB cable
- The board has been kept clean and dry and has been in the plastic enclosure since the day it was delivered
- The board also is no longer displaying the blink sketch that it originally did after completing the first upload (only power LED)

I emailed most of the above to support@adafruit.com, however the asked me to create a forum post - so here it is.

My understanding of the errors based on my Windows OS experience is that the device cannot read the identifer from the device in order to know it's make/model and which driver it should use in order to interact with the device. It can see some device is connected, but is unsure of which and as the device is not communicating correctly with the computer via the cable it is unable to interact with it - more or less the USB chip/emulation on the Playground Express is busted.

My ask is:
- are there any other steps that I have havent tried that are worth attempting?
- if not, am I able to get a replacement device shipped (to Sydney Australia)?
- if not, am I able to get a refund for my purchase since this device is *almost* dead on arrival except for the initial blink sketch?

Thanks,
Alex

express-front.PNG
Image of the front of the device showing it's in new condition, no dirt or corrosion, etc.
express-front.PNG (788.66 KiB) Viewed 45 times

spyrdzy

Re: Circuit Playground Express -Device Descriptor Request Fa

by dastels on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:26 am

You appear to have been thorough. Did you buy it directly from Adafruit, or from a local distributor?

Dave

dastels

by spyrdzy on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks dastels,
Yes, it was purchased directly from Adafruit and delivered to WA state.
Order number was 2060365-3609966150 if that helps.
Regards,
Alex

spyrdzy

by dastels on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 pm

OK, please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one CircuitPlayground Express.

Dave

dastels

by spyrdzy on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:01 am

Thank you Dave,
I've reached out to the address, used the same email thread as earlier.
Have a great weekend!
-Alex

spyrdzy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.