Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Accelerometer and temp sensors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Accelerometer and temp sensors

by imjuschilling on Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm looking to get a accelerometer and temperature sensor breakout board to monitor an industrial motor's temp and vibration. I'll be connecting the breakout boards to a raspberry pi zero w and wanted some guidance on what would be the best boards for this application. I'm getting a bit lost with the amount of available boards for both. I need an accelerometer that has fairly high resolution since I won't be seeing much in terms of movement and I believe that the ADXL345 will work best. For the temperature I think that the MCP9600 will do the job. I need a breakout board that connects to a thermocouple, preferably type J. I'm not very familiar with programming and the I2C boards seemed to be my best option based on what I've read so far. I'd appreciate if someone could give me a second opinion to help be sure I'm choosing the correct breakout boards and I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

imjuschilling

Re: Accelerometer and temp sensors

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:11 am

Those sensors should work for you.
I need an accelerometer that has fairly high resolution since I won't be seeing much in terms of movement

Acceleration and movement are not quite the same thing. What you most likely need is high sensitivity rather than resolution. The ADXL345 has a 2G range which should give you the sensitivity you need.

The other issue is sample-rate. To measure the vibration, you will need to sample at least twice the rotation rate. The ADXL345 supports data rates of up to 3200Hz.

adafruit_support_bill

by imjuschilling on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your help.

imjuschilling

by Supermansss on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 pm

[img]127.0.0.1:ss[/img]

Supermansss

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.