Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Cannot put Makecode .U2 file on Gemma M0
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot put Makecode .U2 file on Gemma M0

by diggee17 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 pm

2020-07-24.png
copy problem
2020-07-24.png (13.45 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Hi,
I have used circuit python on my gemma M0. I wanted to put a makecode .U2 file on the Gemma M0. I followed the instructions. I put the board GEMMABOOT Mode and tried to copy the file to the board. I'm using Windows 10. I can't get past this step.

At first I was getting an error that there wasn't enough space. I tried to delete some stuff from the Gemma. Now I reset but the device. won't complete the copy. It seems to hang. I'm including a copy of the dialog box.

Can you give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I want to understand makecode so I can teach it to a few kids.

Thanks.

diggee17

Re: Cannot put Makecode .U2 file on Gemma M0

by diggee17 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm

I see that I can use my Gemma M0 without a problem so there is something wrong with the interface between my Gemma and my Lenovo Flex 5 computer. I think I need to remove the Gemma M0 from my computer as a device. I tried to go to Settings and remove the Gemma so I could start over but I could not. See the screen shot.
How do I remove my Gemma from my computer so that my computer sees the Gemma as a brand new device so I can start over completely?

2020-07-26 (1).png
2020-07-26 (1).png (479.3 KiB) Viewed 65 times

diggee17

by Toldcodger on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am

Hi,

On the screenshot it says it cannot remove the device while it is in use.

If the device is not actually in use then some software is still connected, either genuinely or because of an error.

Make sure the device is really disconnected then reboot the computer. You should be able to remove it then.

Regards

Dave

Toldcodger

by diggee17 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am

I finally found the solution to my problem in the circuitpython troubleshooting section:

Copying UF2 to boardnameBOOT Drive Hangs at 0% Copied
On Windows, a Western DIgital (WD) utility that comes with their external USB drives can interfere with copying UF2 files to the boardnameBOOT drive. Uninstall that utility to fix the problem.

I forgot that I had recently installed WD software to backup this computer! It does not play nice with circuitpython. I removed the software and my problems went away. Now I have to find a new backup system.

Thanks all.

diggee17

by kevinjwalters on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 am

diggee17 wrote:I forgot that I had recently installed WD software to backup this computer! It does not play nice with circuitpython. I removed the software and my problems went away. Now I have to find a new backup system.

Might be worth checking if there's an exclusion feature in the software that's flexible enough to ignore these drives by name, file system type or size.

kevinjwalters

by diggee17 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks Kevin!
I would like to be able to use my backup software on this computer.

diggee17

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.