Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can't Post UF2 files from Make Code
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't Post UF2 files from Make Code

by ScottBlevins on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm

I have a circuit playground bluefruit. When I download UF2 files from Make Code they show that they download to the board, but since it never resets after copying down the file, the file is erased from the board.

I have gone through the troubleshooting step one, verifying the USB cable. I have used multiple cables, and the same issue with each. I have confirmed the USB is capable of transferring data because when using the MU editor, I can copy files onto the board no problem.

Here is the sequence. I double-click the reset button (single click will not activate bootloader mode) on the device, the pixel all stay green like they should when entering bootloader mode and the drive name changes from CIRCUITPY to CPLAYBOOT. I then download (or drag) the file onto the board. The file tree shows the new file; however, the board never resets on its own. After a period of time the board timesout and resets back to normal mode. If you go back into the board under BOOTLOADER and look the file that was copied over no longer shows up. Like I said, I know the cable is good because I have copied different UF2 files onto the board (the original and an update and have swapped back and forth between the two and checking the version number on the INFO_UF2 file. I also have no problem loading a new code.py file from the MU editor.

INFO_UF2:

UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019

ScottBlevins

Re: Can't Post UF2 files from Make Code

by randompreferences on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:45 am

You have managed to address the smae isuue as me in a more formal way XD, because I am basically desesperated crying on a newer post.

I have the same issue, and after reading, thinking and udnerstanding.
This is the only possible explanation.

BLUEFRUIT DOESN'T WORK WITH uf2 files generated from MAKEACODE. Why ? no idea, jkust not implemented overall!

But you know what? This is what Adafruit claims...
on the second source of links, on the third paragraph it says:
"For folks who are comfortable with an early-release-version that does not support wireless capabilities, you can also try MakeCode Maker's block-based GUI coding environment on this board."
NO YOU CAN'T TRY on the BLUEFRUIT board ... it doesn't compile it.

I spent money on 3 of them xD, just to find out now, that what ever that statement they said, is not true.

sources:
https://forum.makecode.com/t/circuit-pl ... efruit/741
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... t?view=all
Attachments
bluefruit makecode proof.PNG
bluefruit makecode proof.PNG (190.32 KiB) Viewed 19 times

randompreferences

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm

@randompreferences Not sure what you mean by "it doesn't compile it", but please start a new thread for your issue.

@ScottBlevins There are some known issues with 3rd party software that can prevent UF2s from being copied. But it sounds like your issue is specific to MakeCode UF2s, correct? You are able to copy CircuitPython firmware UF2s OK?

adafruit_support_carter

by randompreferences on Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm

I did start another thread, but is the same issue.
It doesn't compile, means when the code is dragged into Bluefruit folder on bottloader mode, it doesn't restart it self, as if that wasn't a uf2 file compatible with Bluefruit and only with Express

randompreferences

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.