Unable to load CircuitPython

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mlyon

Unable to load CircuitPython

Post by mlyon »

Hi, I am sure this is elementary to most of you but being new to this, I am stuck.
I believe I have followed the instructions given on the website but obviously, I am not doing something correctly.
I just received my new Circuit Playground Express with a Cricket board and the CPX very easily shows the CPLAYBOOT drive. When loading the latest .uf2 file initially it froze @ 46%, after that, starting over it would never start the load and froze the CPLAYBOOT window. Also, the CPX shows up in the Device Manager under portable devices as "CPLAYBOOT" and under Ports as a USB device; not quite sure if this means anything relative to my issue or not.
Note: Using Arduino the board and port are recognized and programming goes smoothly. But the bottom line is I would love to start programming it with Circuit Python.
thank you ahead of time for your consideration and any help you can give.
my best, mike

hfryling

Re: Unable to load CircuitPython

Post by hfryling »

I'm also new to this, but I wonder if the bootloader got corrupted with the failed install. Does it still work if you switch back to Arduino?

mlyon

Post by mlyon »

Hi, thanks for the reply and question -> yes, it does still work using the arduino ide after trying the install - thanks, mike

hfryling

Post by hfryling »

So... at least you know it works. I'll have to defer to others to troubleshoot installing CircuitPython.

mlyon

Post by mlyon »

Perhaps a related issue or not.
When trying to update the firmware on the new cricket as well the cpx board, the boot drives are recognized and per the instructions, for updating the FW the correct led indicators are signaling it is a ready mode to receive the FW update, when I drag the .uf2 file for the cricket into the drive it remains at 0% complete indefinitely; the same occurs with the CPX board.
I have no problem with accessing the discrete CPX board [using the Arduino IDE] and loading programs and having them work. Also unplugging the usb/computer link on the CPX board and plugging in the powered Cricket board, the program executes correctly. Hopefully, when writing a program on the CPX board to execute on the Cricket for servo control from the Cricket it will execute.
Based on your experience are there any suggestions to help figure out why the FW updates are not loading?
thanks for your help and consideration - mike

mlyon

Post by mlyon »

I am beginning to wonder if setting it up for the Arduino IDE after Circuit Python would not load disabled the boot drive for any FW update(?)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”