CPX Board Is Not Functioning

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dheub

CPX Board Is Not Functioning

Post by dheub »

So when plugging in my CPX, the red D13 LED will flash a couple of times and the green "On" indicator will light up for about half a second. They then turn off and the board is unresponsive. Also, I can no longer see the board show up under file explorer on my computer. Is there something that could be causing this?

dastels

Re: CPX Board Is Not Functioning

Post by dastels »

Did it work prior to this behavior?

dheub

Post by dheub »

dastels wrote:Did it work prior to this behavior?
It did. I have no real reason to explain why it stopped working. At one point my code ran, now it does not.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Check all over for shorts. It could have picked up a bit of conductive material.

The green "on" LED is on if the board has power. It sounds like your computer is shutting down the USB port. That usually happens when there's too much current draw. And a short could easily cause that. Also, is anything connected to the board that could be using excessive current?

Dave

dheub

Post by dheub »

There's nothing at all connected to the board to draw current. I also do not see any indication on the board that anything is shorted, like a blown chip, smoke or deposits.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Have you tried a different USB port?

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

Also, there may not be damage resulting from a short. I was thinking more of looking for bits of wire stuck to the board.

dheub

Post by dheub »

I see what you're saying. I haven't wired anything to the board ever, nor is there any metallic debris on it. I have tried different USB ports, and different computers. So I do not believe that would be the issue.

dastels

Post by dastels »

When did you buy it?

Dave

dheub

Post by dheub »

It was ordered on 9/12/2020

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK, let's get you a new one. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of CircutPlayground Express.

Dave

dheub

Post by dheub »

Oh okay. Awesome. Thank you so much!

PureWeen

Post by PureWeen »

Was the cause of this ever found out? I've hit a similar problem. I feel like I must have damaged something on the board . Board was working fine all day and then it stopped. The green light will turn on briefly and then board shuts off. If I turn it on via the JST plugin then it doesn't turn off but the ATMEL chip gets too hot to touch (not sure if it's like that during normal operations as well)

If I let the chip sit for a bit then I can plugin the USB and it'll stay on for about 5 seconds. I deleted the code.py file during one of these small windows to see if that would resolve the issue and it doesn't seem to. I've noticed that it gets really hot directly under the JST connection when I plug in the USB

I'm guessing I accidently shorted something while trying to wire up the MIDI feather wing to it. I've unhooked everything from the board as well while trying to get it to boot back up.

dastels

Post by dastels »

It does sound like a short, though the difference in behavior between powering via USB and Battery is odd. They each go through a diode but it's the same after that. The battery is a lower voltage which may account for the difference, but it's still odd.

SHutting down could be the fuse kicking in, and anything heating up unusually is often the sign of too much current (i.e. due to a short).

I've not seen or heard of that behavior before.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”