Can't Update Circuit Playground Bluefruit Bootloader
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't Update Circuit Playground Bluefruit Bootloader

by lwiscovitch on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:26 am

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, didn't see a Bluefruit specific forum but it's late ;)

So got one early last year and was refreshing my memory on it...Usually first thing I do is update the firmware/software/etc, and I noticed that the bootloader is running an old 0.2.11 version.

So I've been trying to get it updated to the 0.4.0 and it's just not working like I would expect. I've tried converting both hex and bin files using the uf2 convert script from Microsoft. In either case, when I drag it to the CPLAYBTBOOT drive it suddenly reboots and Nautilus says it can't copy the file.

I can/have updated CircuitPython using the same method, so I know it works. And my existing code.py is still functional.

I'm not sure where to look for diagnosing/troubleshooting what is happening, and it's possible I'm doing the conversion process wrong, but this is the steps I'm taking:

* Download latest bootloader - https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_nR ... -0.4.0.zip

* Extract to a known location

* Convert to UF2 - uf2conv.py circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.2.12_s140_6.1.1.hex -c -f 0xADA52840

* Drag the file to the CPLAYBTBOOT

Am I missing something? I don't really NEED it, but I always like to be on the latest and greatest to avoid any known issues.

Thanx in advance!

lwiscovitch

Re: Can't Update Circuit Playground Bluefruit Bootloader

by mikeysklar on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:53 pm

The easy way is to download the zip file and use the UF2 file included via drag and drop. You will need to hit the rest button too see the BOOT USB device and then drag the UF2 image from the zip file over it.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
$ unzip ../../circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0.zip
Archive:  ../../circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0.zip
  inflating: update-circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0_nosd.uf2 
 extracting: circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0_s140_6.1.1.zip 
  inflating: circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0_s140_6.1.1.hex

The more advanced command line way is not necessary, but if you want to use the hex file you can:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... ootloader#

You should be able to upload the zip file via adafruit-nrfutil on your windows machine and double tape the reset button. Just customize your COMM port below. Note you need to unzip the downloadable zip to get the uploadable zip. Confusing...yeah, a little.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
adafruit-nrfutil.exe --verbose dfu serial --package circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.4.0_s140_6.1.1.zip  --port COMxx -b 115200 --singlebank --touch 1200

mikeysklar

by lwiscovitch on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:44 pm

I'll have to retry when I get home, but I tried using that UF2 file and it copied over (Could see it on the drive) but it didn't reboot like I'm used to...Do I just manually restart it? And just that file right, seems rather small to me compared to what I've seen.

Does the "nosd" signify anything I should know about? I'm assuming it means "No SD" which is true for the bluefruit.

lwiscovitch

by mikeysklar on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Did you put the CPX BLE into bootloader mode (double reset) before copying the UF2 image manual drag-n-drop style? You should see a BOOTxxx type device name when the CPX BLE is in bootloader mode. Copying the UF2 to the "normal" device name would not do anything.

I see you question about the "no SD", but let's skip that topic for now and focus on the UF2 upgrade.

mikeysklar

by magius135 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 pm

*bump.

I'm having the same issue, were you able to resolve it?

magius135

by mikeysklar on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:47 pm

magius135,

Please start a new post with your issue so we can help you resolve it.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.