Bootloader on macOS 1.15.x
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bootloader on macOS 1.15.x

by Scortes on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi all,

Hoping someone has experience working with a Circuit Playground Express on a recent macOS (1.15.x)

A student using macOS 1.14.4 presented an issue with updating the bootloader on a Circuit Playground Express. 1.114.4 created an issue with how USB devices are recognized, which Adafruit describes here: (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-circuit-playground-express/updating-the-bootloader). I believe this link could be outdated, and it does not address anything about macOS 1.15.x.

A colleague claims to have made it work on a laptop running macOS 1.15.7. We are not sure if he has modified anything to make it function properly, or if macOS 1.15.7 can update the bootloader on the Circuit Playground Express functions without any additional required steps.

Can anyone else confirm that a Circuit Playground Express works with macOS Catalina? Even better, does anyone have a reason/link to explain why new versions function properly, if that is the case?

Thanks in advance!!!

Scortes

Re: Bootloader on macOS 1.15.x

by adavid7 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:11 pm

If you mean macOS 10.15.x, then yes, I was running CPX on it (Catalina) with no problems. I recently upgraded to Big Sur (11.2.x) and it is also fine.

That link to the tutorial about updating the boot loader works also -- just remember to grab the .UF2 version of the boot loader file from GitHub, not the .BIN version.

adavid7

by flyingcheesehead on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 pm

I've even been messing around with a Circuit Playground Express on a new Apple Silicon/M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur (11.2.1). Makecode in Safari works fine, and I can push code over to the CPX. I was able to switch from MakeCode to CircuitPython to Arduino and back to MakeCode. I did not do the boot loader update, though, as it looked to have been done already when I got it.

flyingcheesehead

by Scortes on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I had meant 10.15.x.

Issue seems to be only associated with MacOS 10.14.4+, but was resolved with 10.15 - no source on this, just based on 3 data points.

Student couldn't update to 10.15 for some reason, so I ended up resolving the problem by updating a CPX and shipping it out.

Issue resolved - if anyone else encounters this, two solutions that appear to work: update to macOS 10.15.x or newer, or use another computer to follow the bootloader update instructions that Adafruit provides (linked in other comment above)

Cheers

Scortes

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.