Water Tank Level Measurement
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Water Tank Level Measurement

by _phillip on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm

I am interested in being able to determine a tank's water level. To do this I am looking at AdaFruit's IR Distance Sensor #GP2Y0A710K0F.

Will this sensor work for this purpose or is there a better sensor to do this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Phillip

_phillip

Re: Water Tank Level Measurement

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm

I've had mixed results using the Sharp IR rangefinders for measuring liquid level. An ultrasonic sensor would be a better choice.

Ultrasonic sensors work quite reliably for measuring liquid level and are commonly used in industry for tank level monitoring.
We have a wide range of ultrasonic sensors. If it is likely that the sensor will get splashed, you may want to choose one of the weatherproof versions.
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=ultrasonic&sort=BestMatch

adafruit_support_bill

by _phillip on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:01 pm

Thank you so much for your response.

Background
We live in Southern New Mexico and our water is provided from a water co-op. During the hotter months we have to closely monitor the water levels in both of our tanks. In the past some user's over use and pull the tank(s) very low leaving some user's without water. That said, keeping track of tank levels manually is a never-ending task.

Project Purpose
My goal is to try and develop a sensor that will monitor the water level(s) and report this info wirelessly. I'm biting off probably more than I can chew, but with a lot of luck I may persevere in spite of all the obstacles I am sure to face.

Thanks again for your help.

_phillip

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Check the range specifications to make sure that the sensor you select can cover the full depth of the tank. The Maxbotix datasheets have very accurate diagrams of the beam pattern and range for each model. The water surface in a tank makes an ideal target for these sensors because it is wide and flat and reflects the ultrasonic pings very effectively.

adafruit_support_bill

by _phillip on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:36 pm

@adafruit_support_bill

All that you noted about Maxbotix sensors is music to my ears.

Thank you very much for your help.

Phillip

_phillip

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.