Cannot get MacBook Pro to Recognize CP or Blue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot get MacBook Pro to Recognize CP or Blue

by Theomama on Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi,

My family is new to all things Adafruit, but are looking forward to jumping in. I bought a CP Express off of Amazon. Problem: The CPLAYBOOT icon would show up only once, and then after the makecode program (or the first time the boot loader) was uploaded to it, the icon would not show up again. It just disappeared. I have a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and I followed the bootloader instructions. I thought maybe it was my system, so I tried an older PC and an older iMac. Same problem -- the icon shows up once, then disappears. The back of the CP Express says "developer's edition" -- I figured either I don't know what this means or I got a defective product.

Then I decided to buy directly from Adafruit and bought a CP Bluefruit. Problem: The icon won't show up even once. If I go to About this Mac > System Report > USB > USB Device Tree > USB 3.1, I find the Bluefruit. But the Macbook Pro won't recognize it anywhere else. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm super frustrated because I wanted something super easy for my kids to use before we launch into the Arduino. Sorry this is long!

Theomama

Re: Cannot get MacBook Pro to Recognize CP or Blue

by mikeysklar on Wed May 26, 2021 10:40 am

@Theomama,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties. I thiink there are a few things to look at.

Are you pressing the 'reset' button once the CPX / CPB devices once plugged into the USB cable? That is necessary to bring up CPLAYBOOT.

Are you using a known good USB data cable? It sounds as if you are if the device showed up once and the you are seeing it in the system reprot USB devices. However, there is a lot of variables to a quality USB cable so it can be usable, but high resistance and cause problem.

Which USB port are you using on your mac? A keyboard port will not supply enough power and some ports on a laptop supply less than others so you might need to experiment. A USB 2.x hub can often work great if you are having problems with a USB 3.x port.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.