New Mac M1 USBC to USBA wd hdd?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

New Mac M1 USBC to USBA wd hdd?

by Bartman4214 on Sun May 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Question about your usbc to usba adapter. A friend just bought a new M1 24” Mac. He plugged a usbc to a USBA adapter to connect his external hdd. The drive became a brick and he lost all his data. My new Mac is due in three weeks. I called Apple and their senior tech person said usb is universal and any usb device will work with Apple’s adapter. They could not find the current carrying capacity or wastage limit. My external drive is .75 a at 5v and .75 at 12v. Some adapters are only for low current charging. Will yours work with my hdd? Thanks. What could have fried my friends drive?

Bartman4214

Re: New Mac M1 USBC to USBA wd hdd?

by franklin97355 on Sun May 30, 2021 2:48 pm

Have you tried any other USB A to C adapter?

franklin97355

Re: New Mac M1 USBC to USBA wd hdd?

by adafruit2 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:28 pm

if its an SSD, they sometimes go to 'sleep' - leave them plugged in for a long amount of time and sometimes they recover. there's an internal system that repairs but there's no indication of it.

for https://www.adafruit.com/product/4175 we havent used it with a disk drive, so really we cannot guarantee it will work. USB C has power requirements that are not meetable by USB A, you should use the manufacturer's approved adapters

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.