Circuit Playground Express won't stay connected

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RndmTsk

Circuit Playground Express won't stay connected

Post by RndmTsk »

I received a new Circuit Playground Express and am attempting to copy the new Firmata firmware as described here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... de-org-csd

On first connecting the device, Windows 10 recognized the device, and installed the correct driver. I'm able to connect the device to my PC, and the LEDs display a series of different colors.

I'm also able to press the Reset button once to get the CPLAYBOOT drive to display, but shortly after connecting, the drive disappears, and Windows shows an error:
USB device not recognized, the last USB device you connected malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
I've been unable to upload anything to this device, it is still in the same shape that I received it from Adafruit.
Attachments
Circuit Playground Express - On - Back.jpg
Circuit Playground Express - On - Back.jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Circuit Playground Express - On - Front.jpg
Circuit Playground Express - On - Front.jpg (204.33 KiB) Viewed 177 times

dastels

Re: Circuit Playground Express won't stay connected

Post by dastels »

Do you have a different computer (and/or OS) to try this on to see if we can narrow down which end of the cable the problem's at?

Another thing... do you have any anti-virus software running?

Dave

RndmTsk

Re: Circuit Playground Express won't stay connected

Post by RndmTsk »

I have an M1 MacBook Pro (a work machine) running macOS Big Sur, which seems to work a bit better. The CPLAYBOOT drive stays connected, I can read the contents of INFO_UF2.TXT, and I can upload the firmware.

Ideally, I'd like to use it on my PC, but I've tried to update the firmware using my MacBook Pro, but the INFO_UF2.TXT file seems to have the same contents after updating:

Code: Select all

UF2 Bootloader v2.0.0-adafruit.5 SFHWRO
Model: CPlay Express
Board-ID: SAMD21G18A-CPlay-v0
The only difference is that I now have to press the Reset button twice to get into the CPLAYBOOT mode. The same issue still persists on my PC, but is not present on Mac.

My PC has Windows Defender running, while my MacBook Pro has Carbon Black.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”