Sending neopixel data from one CPB to several others

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DjaMin

Sending neopixel data from one CPB to several others

Post by DjaMin »

Hello,
I am currently working on a project (with Circuit Python on Mu) that involves one Circuit Playground Bluefruit communicating with several others CPB in order to create groups within a classroom. One CPB acts as master/central, ie creates random groups that are displayed on the neopixel band of the CPB. For each of the pixels, I am trying to send the color packet to a different peripheral/slaved CPB so that the students receive one specific color (as displayed on the master CPB neopixel band).
Everything works fine when I test with only one slave CPB, by using the adafruit_bluefruit_connect.color_packet. But as this sends one single rgb color, I cannot send distinct colors to distinct slave CPBs.
Is there a way to send the whole neopixel state of the master to the slave (and then I can work from that to choose the proper group color) ? I am fairly new to this and have looked several days in the docs/forums, but to no avail.
Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Dja

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Sending neopixel data from one CPB to several others

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

BLE doesn’t have any kind of multicast message, so you’d have to open a separate connection for every external board you want to talk to.

You might want to try flipping the relationship around and make all the external boards centrals. Then yours can broadcast color information in its advertising packet, and all the external boards can read that without needing to open an actual data connection.

DjaMin

Re: Sending neopixel data from one CPB to several others

Post by DjaMin »

Thanks for your answer and sharing ideas.
We may have to change the all setup anyways, we'll try your suggestion.
Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”