What to buy: Need a simple 180 turning servo

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SoundwaveSuperior

What to buy: Need a simple 180 turning servo

Post by SoundwaveSuperior »

Hi all,
Noob here. So what I want to build is the Squid Game Red Light Green Light Doll Robot head. I just need a simple high torque servo that can turn the head 180 degrees when I press the cricket button. It needs to be in a costume so it must be battery powered. I am thinking of purchasing: Microservo MG90D high torque, ADA fruit cricket, and the 3 AA battery holder. Is there anything else I need to purchase for this simple mechanism? Please help!
-SoundwaveSuperior

Franklin97355

Re: What to buy: Need a simple 180 turning servo

Post by Franklin97355 »

Before you build the item test the servo to make sure it will do what you want, Some servos are not able to sweep a full 180 degrees. you can use a microcontroller like the Trinket M0 if the space is an issue. Take a look at https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-gemma-servo-control

SoundwaveSuperior

Thank you for your reply. Do you think this metal gear 180 degree servo would work properly? I just need to press a button for the servo to turn 180 degrees in one direction and then press it again to go back to the original position. That's all it needs to do.

https://youtu.be/nY7D_5_Qmps

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Our servos should be comparable.

SoundwaveSuperior

Is there one in particular that I should purchase? I would like one that has metal gears for high torque.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is there one in particular that I should purchase? I would like one that has metal gears for high torque.
How much torque do you need?

"high torque" is a relative term and not necessarily related to the material that the gears are made of. The "High Torque" MG90 has about half the stall torque of the 'Standard' SG5010 which has a plastic gear train. Torque specs are listed for all the servos in the store.

SoundwaveSuperior

Hmm it needs to be able to move a 5 lb object 180 degrees with minimal friction without breaking the gears.

adafruit_support_bill

Weight is only part of the equation. To calculate torque, you would need to know how that weight is distributed and how fast you intend to be moving it.

The other thing to consider is how your load is going to be supported. If it is going to be mounted directly to the servo shaft, then you will need a servo with a shaft and bearings capable of supporting the load. A 5 pound load is a lot to attach to the shaft of a micro servo - especially if it will be on a wearable project.

Something like the MG995R is probably a better choice.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1142

SoundwaveSuperior

Yes the 5 lb load mask will be directly loaded onto the Microservo. I will try to make is equally heavy on all areas by balancing materials. The rotation would be 180 degrees in 5 seconds so not that fast. The servo you recommended seems strong but only rotates max 170 degrees. Do you have an alternative for the weight but also goes 180 degrees? Btw thank you for the quick replies!

adafruit_support_bill

I use these a lot: https://www.servocity.com/hs-645mg-servo/
Similar in torque to the MG995R. They have an all metal gear-train and the output shaft is supported by dual ball bearings.

SoundwaveSuperior

So with this servo and the circuit playground express I can program it in Make code to press button A to go to 180 degrees and when I press button B to go to 0 degrees? Just like in this video?
BTW this video was how I found you guys!

https://youtu.be/cofElsolYk4

SoundwaveSuperior

Also how about the MG92B. It has metal gears, goes 180 degrees? Unsure if it's to weak for what I need.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2307

adafruit_support_bill

It has less than half the torque of the HS-645MG.

SoundwaveSuperior

Ok I think I'm going to buy the HS-645MG. It says that it has an average radio system of 90*. It says that with either a travel tuner or a wide signal controller it can increase it to 197*. Does the circuit playground express act as a wide signal controller to increase it or do I need to purchase a travel tuner?

adafruit_support_bill

The circuit playground can generate control signals to turn it a full 180 degrees.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”