Problem with CIrcuitpython on CPB

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Insert_Name_Here

Problem with CIrcuitpython on CPB

Post by Insert_Name_Here »

I bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit from Adafruit, it arrived about 5 days ago.
It was working, then this happened:

I had circuit python installed(7.0.0), it was working perfectly.
Then sometime about 2 or 3 days ago, Circuitpython stopped working.
When I plug in the CPB, the CIRCUITPY drive doesn't show up.
So the most obvious course of action would be to reinstall circuit python.
I reinstalled circuitpython I don't know how many times.
When you double click reset, all the neopixels turn red, then green, and then the CPLAYBOOT drive shows up, as expected.
I dragged the circuitpython .uf2 file into the CPLAYBOOT drive, then the drive disappears, as expected.
The CPB reboots, but the CIRCUITPY drive still doesn't show up.

P.S. The neopixels blink green, wait about 5 seconds, then repeat the cycle.
I don't know if that will help you.

danhalbert

Re: Problem with CIrcuitpython on CPB

Post by danhalbert »

Your program could be crashing, before CIRCUITPY has a chance to appear.

Seethe troubleshooting instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... 2978456-24

If you can connect to the board via the REPL ("Serial" in Mu), you can clear and reformat CIRCUITPY.
Try getting into safe mode as described here: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... 3105351-25
Then erase CIRCUITPY as described here: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... 2987288-32

Or, use the special "erase" UF2 listed here: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... 2978458-37.
Choose the one for Circuit Playground Bluefruit, and drag it to the BOOT drive. Then you will need to reload CircuitPython.

Insert_Name_Here

When I try using the erase script, it doesn't work. And I couldn't find an erase bootloader for CPB, only CPX.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Here is where to find it:
erase.png
erase.png (44.71 KiB) Viewed 526 times
and here is the direct link:
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1572026649

Insert_Name_Here

Sorry, I didn't see that(lol).

Insert_Name_Here

The bootloader erased the filesystem(I think) and then I installed circuitpython. CIRCUITPY still not showing up.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Do you have some other computers you can try, even an RPi? What is the computer you are using now? If you have not rebooted it, try that.

(Aside on terminology: It's not a bootloader, but an erase program. The bootloader displays the boot drive. CircuitPython is not a bootloader either.)

Insert_Name_Here

I'm using Linux Mint 20.1 MATE 64-bit. Maybe I could try my dad's Mac Book Pro...

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 with Cinnamon. Sometimes /media/<username>/CIRCUITPY gets stuck and doesn't go away, and you have to remove it by hand with sudo. But if it's stuck, the board shows up as CIRCUITPY1

Insert_Name_Here

danhalbert wrote:I am using Ubuntu 20.04 with Cinnamon. Sometimes /media/<username>/CIRCUITPY gets stuck and doesn't go away, and you have to remove it by hand with sudo. But if it's stuck, the board shows up as CIRCUITPY1
?

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Sometimes Ubuntu has had USB problems and hung. If I force reboot, a /media/myusername/CIRCUITPY may remain present even with no board plugged in. You have to remove it by hand with `sudo rmdir /media/myusername/CIRCUITPY`.

Insert_Name_Here

danhalbert wrote:Sometimes Ubuntu has had USB problems and hung. If I force reboot, a /media/myusername/CIRCUITPY may remain present even with no board plugged in. You have to remove it by hand with `sudo rmdir /media/myusername/CIRCUITPY`.
I tried cding
It can't find that directory.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

If you don't have it, then that is not your problem.

Did you try the board on another computer?

Insert_Name_Here

No. I just realized Mac Book Pros only have type C USB. I don't have a type C to C USB cable.

Insert_Name_Here

I was reading circuit python troubleshooting info and I found this:
CircuitPython 7.0.0 and Later

The status LED blinks were changed in CircuitPython 7.0.0 in order to save battery power and simplify the blinks. These blink patterns will occur on single color LEDs when the board does not have any RGB LEDs. Speed and blink count also vary for this reason.

On start up, the LED will blink YELLOW multiple times for 1 second. Pressing reset during this time will restart the board and then enter safe mode. On Bluetooth capable boards, after the yellow blinks, there will be a set of faster blue blinks. Pressing reset during the BLUE blinks will clear Bluetooth information and start the device in discoverable mode, so it can be used with a BLE code editor.

Once started, CircuitPython will blink a pattern every 5 seconds when no user code is running to indicate why the code stopped:

1 GREEN blink: Code finished without error.
2 RED blinks: Code ended due to an exception. Check the serial console for details.
3 YELLOW blinks: CircuitPython is in safe mode. No user code was run. Check the serial console for safe mode reason.
So, it is blinking green, meaning code finished without error? Well where is the circuitpy drive with the code? What program is it running?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”