Connect NeoPixel Jewel - 7 with DIY Magnetic Connector

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
codeight

Connect NeoPixel Jewel - 7 with DIY Magnetic Connector

Post by codeight »

I'm using a light sensor to control an aquarium-light: LED color changes at certain ambient-light-threshold. I name it moonlighting :) My two questions:

- is a resistor necessary to use two Neopixels? in the test setup it runs correctly without. I may use more Neopixels for larger aquariums.

- LEDs are installed on their own PCB board. To connect that board to the controller-board outside the aquarium i would like to use the DIY Magnetic Connector with usual breakout cables and shrink tubing. But maybe a suitable 3-pin cable is more suitable?
Attachments
Aquarius_.jpeg
Aquarius_.jpeg (176.58 KiB) Viewed 188 times

dastels

Re: Connect NeoPixel Jewel - 7 with DIY Magnetic Connector

Post by dastels »

You mean 2 jewels... i.e. 14 NeoPixels?

Using the resistor and capacitor certainly won't hurt, but I've ,found it not needed with a relatively small number (less than a few dozen) of NeoPixels. For 2 jewels you shouldn't have any problems with or without them. If anything, I'd say the capacitor is more important.

If you are making it possible to disconnect the cable to the NeoPixels, you should try to avoid also making it possible to connect it the wrong way around. A 3-pin JST connector will take care of that (only one way it can be inserted). If you want to use the magnetic connectors I would use the 5 pin version and wire the pins 5v, data, ground, data, 5v. That way it won't matter which way you connect it.

Dave

codeight

Post by codeight »

for a 60 liter aquarium, two NeoPixel Jewel - 7 x 5050 RGBW LED - Cool White - ~6000K are sufficient (as in the picture).

even if it is not necessary for my setup: how is the value of the capacitor and resistor calculated - connected to the GND channel?
Thank you for the helpful hint about the 5-pin magnetic connector!

dastels

Post by dastels »

codeight

Post by codeight »

Thanks a lot!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”