adabox 004 IR remote and receiver not working

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sailblackmagic

adabox 004 IR remote and receiver not working

Post by sailblackmagic »

Hi, I am new to working with hardware and I have been enjoying the learning experiences with ADABox projects. I was working through the music maker projects with ADABOX 004. I got to the IR remote project as described in the learn module:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adabox004/th ... d-receiver

I have had no success getting it to work. I added some debug into the sketch and it appears I am not getting anything when I push a button on the remote. I also tried another remote with no luck.

I found this page on testing the ir-sensor and tried this little circuit:

https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor/te ... -ir-sensor

When I tired this little circuit, nothing happens while pushing any buttons on any of the remotes i tried. Is there anything else you can suggest to verify the IR-sensor is working or not?

kcl1s

Re: adabox 004 IR remote and receiver not working

Post by kcl1s »

I don't have Adabox 4 but most of those remotes have a plastic sheet that you have to pull out of the battery compartment. You should see it sticking out a bit from the bottom of the remote.

Another thing you can try is using your phone camera to look at the uv LED. You can usually see a flash when you press the button that you can't see with your eyes.

Keith

sailblackmagic

Post by sailblackmagic »

Hi Keith, I did pull the plastic out of the remote, I also checked the battery was not dead. The standalone IR circuit was supposed to flash the led with any remote so I tried it with some other remotes around the house. I also checked the led lights up with a basic circuit with a resistor.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo showing your hardware and connections please? 800x600 images usually work best.

sailblackmagic

Post by sailblackmagic »

sorry its been a while but some personal issues came up.

Here is the picture of the test circuit I used. I did verify the LED lights up if I move the black (-) to the right side of the resistor (effectively bypassing the IR sensor). I am using power from the feather in the ADABOX004.
Attachments
ir_test.jpg
ir_test.jpg (126.32 KiB) Viewed 789 times

adafruit_support_mike

Try connecting the positive jumper to the Feather's USB pin instead of the 3v pin.

Those IR sensors prefer a 5v supply, and that one might be a little more picky than others.

sailblackmagic

Post by sailblackmagic »

Thank you for response, I just redid the testing using the 5v from the USB pin on the board. My multimeter shows a steady 5.03volts. I repeated the bypass check and the LED is much brighter indicating the 5v is getting to the LED. However I have no joy when it comes to getting the LED to light up with the IR sensor :( I tried several remotes and nothing makes the slightest flicker of the LED

adafruit_support_mike

Thanks.. let's try another IR sensor.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a new TSPO38238.

(#157)

sailblackmagic

Post by sailblackmagic »

Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”