Adabox 005 - PiZero Kernal Panic?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adabox 005 - PiZero Kernal Panic?

by Stacks on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi All,

You may remember me from such posts as "Adabox 004 - Problem with streaming cutting out"...Long story short, my daughter and I are trying to catch up with a couple of Adaboxes we had put aside during the school year, and it is *not* going well!

This week, we took on Adabox 005, following the well documented tutorial provided by Adafruit. We were able to:
- physically assemble the device (hammer headers, Joy Bonnet, case, done...)
- Burn the pizerogamer image to the SD card (confirmed successful by popping SD into a regular old RPi 3 we have -> went right into RetroPi. This was a big win for us!)

Unfortunately, when we put the SD into the PiZero, there is an almost immediate "bad page map" and "kernel panic" and some notes about running out of memory before it freezes. Screenshot is below.

We had a problem with this HDMI monitor & the RPi3 in the past that was solved by forcing HDMI output in the config file, but I do not this this is what is happening given the screenshot exists (i.e. not a monitor problem here)?

Can anyone decipher what is happening in the screenshot/offer any remedies? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Paul

Ada005Issue.JPG
Ada005Issue.JPG (122.37 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Stacks

Re: Adabox 005 - PiZero Kernal Panic?

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 am

That's a problem with the SD card.. either an inaccurate write or a damaged card.

Try giving the card a low-level format with the SD Association's official tool for the job:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

and re-flash the OS image. See if that helps.

adafruit_support_mike

by Stacks on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 am

Thanks Mike,

Appreciate your attention on this, and my other thread -> don't mean to be a time sink/bummer!

Does your response consider that the SD card behaved fine (RetroPi loaded) in the RPi 3? We were assuming that was a decent confirmation that it was *not* the SD card.

Let me know, and I will reflash the card accordingly.

Thanks,
Paul

Stacks

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:04 am

The hardware in the RasPi line has gone through so many revisions and updates that 'it works on another RasPi' has stopped being a useful test. It's to the point that a card which works on a Pi2 made last year will fail on one made this year.

Try a fresh copy of the latest Raspbian, just to rule out as many unknowns as possible. The fact that the Zero can boot far enough to generate those messages suggests the hardware to the SD card is working properly.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.