Crickit Carnival Bumper Bot
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Crickit Carnival Bumper Bot

by mcleanb48 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi,
I recently got my Adabox008 and began to make the Crickit Carnival Bumper Car. I have gone through every step of the tutorial and completed the construction and programming of the robot. Everything works fine except for one small problem: my robot does not register many of the things that it bumps into. I have to hit it pretty forcefully in order for it to change colors, move the servo, and then back up and change directions. I have added a bumper to it, like the tutorial suggests, and it still just runs into things and tries to continue to move while going nowhere. Is there something that I can do to help the CPX pick up the 'shake' easier than it is right now?
Thanks.

mcleanb48

Re: Crickit Carnival Bumper Bot

by johnpark on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 am

The first thing I would check is that you have fresh alkaline batteries, I've had a surprising number of problems go away when I change out the batteries.

I would also check to see that your Crickit and Circuit Playground Express are securely mounted to the bot's chassis so that the vibration of the bump is being transferred to the board -- if it can shift around it may not get the impact. If you hold the bot in your hand and tap the board does it behave as expected?

johnpark

by mcleanb48 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm

I will try out changing the batteries, but as of right now I have to forcefully hit the front of the bot pretty hard before it realizes it has bumped into something. Just letting it run into the wall or holding it and tapping it do nothing.

mcleanb48

by johnpark on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:45 am

One suggestion from Mike Barela:
The set accelerometer range adjusts sensitivity - 1g, 2g, 4g, 8g

There is the on shake method

You can get the acceleration in x, y, z, or strength. You could plot strength as it bumps and see what values seem to be ok and use as an alternative to shake perhaps.

accelMC.png
accelMC.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 98 times

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.