DOA NeoTrellis?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

DOA NeoTrellis?

by iboc on Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 am

Hi,

I just received my ADAbox10. It looks like the neotrellis M4 express board may be DOA. When I plug it into a Windows 10 computer I get a blue LED, the reset button doesn't seem to change modes or put it into bootloader mode (single tap, double tap, tap fast, tap slow, hold and tap, etc.) regardless of my pressing the reset button, the Blue LED never changes. I tried plugging it into my Mac as well and I just get a blip on the LED and it goes dark.

If I plug the USB directly into a Raspberry PI power supply the power lights up but the reset button also doesn't seem to work or switch modes. The LED just stays blue.

Invoice number 1917688

iboc

Re: DOA NeoTrellis?

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 am

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day, and it's become normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one that would work.

adafruit_support_mike

by iboc on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:09 am

Thank you for the reply. I have tested the USB cable with my circuit playground express and it works fine. I also tested the NeoTrellis with a different MicroB USB cable and it still doesn't work.

iboc

by iboc on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Is there anything else you would like me to test/try?

iboc

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:26 am

What voltage do you see between the 3v and GND pins on the 4-pin jack at the top edge of the board?

adafruit_support_mike

by iboc on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:30 am

3.28V between 3V and Ground

iboc

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:56 am

Thank you. That shows the microcontroller is getting power, at least.

One last thing to check: do you see any sign of the SAMD51 or an Adafruit device in the Device Manager or System Information USB pane when the NeoTrellis is connected to one of the Windows machine or the Mac?

adafruit_support_mike

by iboc on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:16 am

Hi, when I plug the device into a Windows desktop nothing new shows up under device manager. I looked under USB device controllers and Ports (COM/LPT). I tried a few times and with a few USB cables. I checked under some other device categories as well and didn't see anything.

iboc

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:55 am

Thank you. It sounds like the microcontroller has failed, or there's a problem with the bootloader.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement NeoTrellis.

adafruit_support_mike

by adafruit2 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 am

iboc, if you're in the USA please ask for an RMA label "FORPHIL" so we can get it back for analysis!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by iboc on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:37 am

I'm in Canada

iboc

by adafruit2 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:51 pm

ok thanks anyhow :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by theschaef on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm tagging along on this thread since it seems to be along the lines of the problem I am seeing with my ADABOX10 NeoTrellis. I am a bit late to the game since I was considering gifting this one to someone, then changed my mind.

I am running on an Ubuntu Linux machine, OS rev. 18.04, although I'm not sure that matters to this problem. After assembly, I plugged it into my USB port using the supplied USB cable and saw no activity except for a brief blue flash from the DotStar LED. The NeoTrellis never interacted with the computer. I went to the /dev directory where a new serial port would have registered, and saw no change between the before and after listing of devices. I tried unplugging and replugging multiple times. I also tried clicking the reset button in different ways, namely double-cllicking quickly, slowly, pressing and holding, etc. Only visual activity is the brief blue flash upon plugging the board in. That doesn't even happen when I click the reset. Just for completeness, I tried connecting the board to my wife's Windows 10 computer and saw no drive registration or any sign of a new device under Device Manager.

I dug in a bit more by disassembling the board from the case and doing as thorough a visual inspection of components as I could. I did not see any problems with solder joints or components that were askew. After that I went about checking voltages. The 4-pin connector at the top of the board was showing approximately 3.3 volts between ground and power. I was able to check the power connections on the SAMD51 at the associated capacitor contacts and found 3.3 volts where it should be connected to pins 4, 6, and 17. Reset stays at 3.3 volts until the pushbutton is activated. VDDCORE reads 1.2 volts, which the datasheet indicated it should, which seemed to indicate internal voltage regulation was working on the chip. An o-scope check on the QSPI_SCK flash memory line indicated no activity whatsoever when executing a pushbutton reset.

Could I be overlooking something? Is there something else that you can suggest for me to try? Thanks.

theschaef

by johnpark on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Have you looked at this thread on udev rules in Linux for some Trellis M4 issues? viewtopic.php?f=59&t=145590&p=719665&hilit=linux#p719665

johnpark

by theschaef on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 am

I downloaded and installed the udev rules and used usermod to set $USER to the dialout group, although I think I had that part set up already. I checked the provided cable with my Feather M0 Express, and it worked as expected, with the CIRCUITPY directory appearing and talked to the CircuitPython via putty to stop and reload the program there. The NeoTrellis still shows no signs of life. Just the brief flash of blue on the DotStar when I plug it in.

Also, in my first post I neglected to mention that I used a USB Charger Doctor to determine that the input voltage is 5.1 volts with an input current of 20 mA. It is still non functional. Is it possible to get a replacement board?

theschaef

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.