🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

Any guesses on what Adabox 14 will contain?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Any guesses on what Adabox 14 will contain?

by michaelmeissner on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:50 pm

It looks like Adabox 14 will ship on December 1st.

Any guess what it will contain? When Monster M4SK came out, I figured it would be in Adabox 13, and signed on to get the quarterly shipment.

My guess is given the song that promotes it talks of ADABOX-mas, it likely has some tie in to the typical December holidays. Recently, Adafruit has put out some bits and pieces with Circuit Playground. So maybe a Circuit Playground Bluefruit with either the bolt-on TFT display Gizmo or Tri-ink display Gizmo, and the Circuit Playground ornament or snowglobe kit.

In fact there is this page that was published on November 2nd, which may mean Adabox 14 might contain all of the items.

michaelmeissner

Re: Any guesses on what Adabox 14 will contain?

by rootbear on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm

I thought about the snow globe too, but I'd forgotten about the ornament kits. A CPX BLE with an ornament kit would be fun. I'm glad they're keeping this one a mystery, the last few weren't all that surprising.

Jim
(a fellow X3J11 alum!)

rootbear

by michaelmeissner on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:32 am

Well the C language (X3J11) does seem to have survived all of those years, even though it has been a long time since I worried about front end syntax, etc. And GCC itself has moved over to C++, though I must admit I mostly use the C dialect and some of early C++ features.

Hmm, it was 36 years when the committee was formed and 30 years since the publication of C89.

michaelmeissner

by meskdavi on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 pm

I would say the CPX BLE and the TFT Gizmo do seem likely and they show out of stock which could mean they used them all for the boxes.

meskdavi

by michaelmeissner on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Well I noticed my card was charged this morning, and the order status said:
  • "AdaBox014 - Circuit Playground Bluefruit - Merry CPXmas"

So we'll have to see what else the box contains.

michaelmeissner

by rootbear on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 am

A CPB and TFT Gizmo seem likely, combined with a clear ornament case, and/or a snow globe case. Maybe some neopixel things. I think I'll like this box.

rootbear

by michaelmeissner on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am

And I suspect the shimmering snowflake glitter and paper diffraction glasses will also be in the package:

michaelmeissner

by millercommamatt on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:13 pm

millercommamatt

by michaelmeissner on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:44 am

@millercommamatt: good catch.

michaelmeissner

by kevinrs on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 am

Ok, mine finally shipped today, though some appear to have already received it, and UPS shipping seems to have gotten slower over time, now it's going to take until the 18th to get to the west coast, used to be like 3 business days. That's the only day left for an unboxing video, so I probably won't be opening it along with the video.
I'll have Thursday and Friday to squeeze in building it with my niece after work, as other family will be arriving Saturday for the holiday.
It isn't just the holiday rush making shipping so long, the last adabox had the same timeframe, 6 business days to arrive, though my cyber Monday adafruit order only took 4 business days, the 3rd to the 9th.

Sorry to be complaining here, just seems odd how shipping seems to take longer than it used to, and then I see a photo of someone's received product on the stream before mine even ships.

kevinrs

by michaelmeissner on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:35 am

Yeah I hear you on shipping. It probably didn't help that CPXmas was going out roughly the same time as the window for USPS US delivery and foreign shipments. I do wonder given Adafruit ships out of Manhattan, I wonder how many UPS and USPS trucks do pickup on an average day and on days when it is the deadline for holiday shipping. They obviously don't have the advantage of larger loading docks for delivery vans that you might get in the industrial shipping section in NJ that other NY companies use.

Living in Massachusetts, I used to count on ordering stuff Wednesday night after the Ask An Engineer show, and getting it Friday morning, but I've had a few times where it got there on Monday instead (I have packages delivered to work). Of course the days it was late were the days I was hoping to use it on the weekend.

I once did a comparison. I ordered some Stemma speakers and did it via UPS. Later in the same night, I decided I wanted a few more, so I did a second order, this time using USPS. Both orders were shipped the next day (UPS pickup was 5:40pm, USPS was 8:20pm). The USPS came a day after the UPS order did (but hey, it was $4 cheaper).

But even so, USPS, UPS, and Fedex are so much better than Amazon Prime delivery. It is quite common for them not to attempt delivery until after 5:00pm, and notice gee the business shipping dock is closed for the day (I had 3 packages scheduled for yesterday that didn't make it). That is somewhat understandable, but I've had several deliveries where they just leave the package by one of the doors, and not bother delivering it to a person at the loading dock. Once they actually sent me a picture of it sitting at the loading dock, but normally they don't. Once or twice, I think they didn't even leave it at the loading dock, but instead put it at one of the 5 or so employee entrances in the building.

michaelmeissner

by kevinrs on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Prime delivery does seem to be set up to often deliver when many people are off work and at home.
Unboxing was just confirmed for next Wednesday. UPS now has no scheduled delivery date, so probably won't be until Thursday or later. I'm thinking on something like adabox, maybe they need to ship more distant in shipping time orders first? Seems West coast needs another day or 2 to beat the unboxing.
Not sure what's changed at UPS and others. Used to always beat pre order time estimates, and clearly showed tracking scans at every step. Now lucky if you get more than: prepped for delivery, one scan initial scan and a delivered notice. Seems like dhl had these problems then they spread.

kevinrs

by michaelmeissner on Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Yeah, I guess mentioning the delivery speeds jinxed me. CPXmas was supposed to be delivered today to my work, but UPS missed the 5:00pm window where my work mailroom shutsdown, and says weather may affect the delivery (we are supposed to get a lot of rain tonight). Ahh well, hopefully they didn't take a trick from Amazon and just leave the package at the loading dock.

michaelmeissner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.