Adabox 18: guesses

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
michaelmeissner

Adabox 18: guesses

Post by michaelmeissner »

According to the adabox link, Adabox 18 should ship in 8 days or so, though right now it looks closed for new subscriptions.

Any guesses on what will be in Adabox 18?

Back after Adabox 17 came out in December and I thought Adabox 18 would ship in March, I thought it might be the prop maker light saber kit, so that it would arrive in time for Star Wars Day (May the 4th). But the delivery day moved to late April. I suspect if they shipped the light saber kit for the Adabox, they would need a version of the kit that has all of the headers soldered in.

So the next thing that comes to mind is the Adafruit FunHouse kit, along with a PIR sensor and some other things. To my mind, this is probably the most likely thing. I do wonder whether it is 'too similar' to previous recent Adaboxes (Adabox 17 - MagTag, Adabox 15 - Come to your Senses).

The newly announced ScoutMakes FM radio kit would be a possibility if they offer a version with the headers soldered in. But since it isn't an Adafruit designed product, I dunno if they would do it in the Adabox.

The Doctor Who HiFive kit might be a possibility. I suspect it is at too high of a price point for Adabox, and it isn't an Adafruit designed product.

roughsquare

Re: Adabox 18: guesses

Post by roughsquare »

You don't think it'll be something RP2040 related? It is all the rage right now.

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

Funhouse is my guess.

michaelmeissner

True the RP2040 is the rage right now, but Adafruit doesn't really have any RP2040 products that are suitable for the Adabox. I tend to think that Adabox products need no soldering, and provides interesting things to do that can inspire STEM or STEAM programming.

So if they did the prop maker kit, they might replace the SAMD M4 processor with a RP2040 feather in a newer kit.

The RGB Matrix featherwing kit may not an option since Adabox 16 had a similar matrix display. But if it is an option, it would likely be with a 32x32 display and with 3d printed stuff mentioned in the last 3D hangout.

rootbear

Post by rootbear »

I agree that the FunHouse kit is the most likely. I'd be happy with that. I've had some home automation projects on my to do list for a long time and this would be a good push to get me started on them.

michaelmeissner

Hmmm, ship date has slipped again. Now it looks like May 3rd.

roughsquare

Post by roughsquare »

Being the Canuck I am I'll have to wait a little longer to see what it is, but I am excited!

michaelmeissner

Well my credit card was charged today for Adabox 18, and the title is "There's No Place Like Home". So I assume it has the Fun House in it.

I wonder what else is included in the box besides the Fun House?

I assume it has the new breadboard friendly PIR sensor (motion sensor) that looks like it was made specifically for the Fun House. It is mentioned in the FunHouse Motion Detecting Lights with LIFX Bulbs tutorial. Note, Adafruit doesn't sell LIFX bulbs, and they look somewhat pricey, so I assume the LIFX bulb itself won't be included.

I suspect it will also include the magnetic contact switch (door sensor) that is mentioned in another Funhouse tutorial (Funhouse Door Alert with Email Notification).

jay0lee

Post by jay0lee »

millercommamatt

The year of IO+ is nice.

michaelmeissner

The additional sensors listed look like they will be a nice addition. Lets see:
  • Mini PIR sensor (that I had speculated being in the box);
  • Infrared break beam sensor;
  • Ultrasonic distance sensors;
  • Magnetic door sensor; (and)
  • Acrylic Backplate Kit with magnetic M3 screws.
That would give people a lot of options to add monitoring stuff around the house. Though a few of the sensors do not have the 3 pin JST connector, but they did include some connector cables, etc.

Powderjockey

Post by Powderjockey »

Anyone here receive the Adabox? I'm trying to run https://learn.adafruit.com/creating-fun ... cuitpython, but I can't seem to get anything to show on the LCD. Mu shows the traffic, temp, humidity and the rest in the serial window.

michaelmeissner

Mine hasn't shipped yet.

millercommamatt

I received my shipping notice yesterday afternoon.

dpn982

Post by dpn982 »

Received shipping notice on friday. UPS says it's in route to a UPS facility since Friday.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”