Help with Science Fair project please

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
casey12026

Help with Science Fair project please

Post by casey12026 »

My daughter wants to create a fire alarm companion for her great grandfather. As he has lost most of his upper range of hearing, she wants to make a fire alarm that will 'hear' the standard fire alarm, and sound a second set of tones at a range that he can hear.

I think I have most of this worked out, but wiring is not my strength. We have an Adafruit Audio FX sound board with 2x2W amp (P2210). We have a set of five tones we want to demo. I can make it to were if you push a switch a sound will play, but here is the part I need help with. She would like to wire it so that when you push one of the fire switches you are not triggering the sound, but merely selecting which sound would be played when the alarm is activated.

We bought a Waveshare Sound Sensor V2 to use as the trigger https://www.robotshop.com/en/sound-sensor.html
Am I correct in thinking I can wire all the switches (0-4) to a single ground and have the sound sensor be the final connection to the ground pin? I know there would be conflicts on the board if multiple switches are latched in the active position, but we will live with user error for a demo.

Will this work? Can it work if done differently?
Thank you for all input,
Casey

mikeysklar

Re: Help with Science Fair project please

Post by mikeysklar »

I think the AudioFX device would actually complicate things because it is designed to play a sound file when triggered.

There are some examples using the Adafruit Feather MusicMaker with buttons and you can use the sound sensor you purchased as audio in. That will essentially make this a software project which might not be what you want for your daughter.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3436

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”