Controller not working in AdaBox005

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crzysteve

Controller not working in AdaBox005

Post by crzysteve »

The RetroPie kit is a great idea. The challenge that I am having is that I can't get the joy bonnet to work. It boots up to the emulation station but the buttons don't do anything. I have built a Retro Pie before on a Pi 3. So I took my controller and the mini USB adapter and still nothing. I pulled the SD card and put it in my Pi 3 and it booted up but the controller still didn't work. I had a small keyboard controller connected to a bluetooth USB dongle. The arrow keys on that did allow me to move around in Emulator Station. The OK button worked like the Start button, but that was all I could do.

I did remove the bonnet and tried just the external controller as well, and that didn't work either.

So I am completely confused. It has to be the image because the controller didn't work in either piece of hardware. I reformatted the card and flashed it again, with the same exact results. Just kind of baffled at this point. Hoping to get this working so I can hand it to my 4 yo nephew when I see him next week.

Any ideas?

crzysteve

Re: Controller not working in AdaBox005

Post by crzysteve »

I did try the other card from the Pi 3 in the Zero but there must be something different because it terminates the start up and goes to the Pi command prompt.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Post a photo of your setup showing all connections. Do you know how to ssh into the Pi Zero W? Alternatively, we could possibly try and trouble shoot the Joy Bonnet on the Pi 3. Is the Pi 3 available for testing?

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Post a photo of your setup showing all connections. Do you know how to ssh into the Pi Zero W? Alternatively, we could possibly try and trouble shoot the Joy Bonnet on the Pi 3. Is the Pi 3 available for testing?
So I put the joy bonnet on the Pi 3 and booted from the disk I made for this project and it works beautifully. So it is not the bonnet. It gives me full control. So it is either the Zero or how I installed the hammer headers but I was pretty careful and I think my connections look solid.

Anything else I can try?
Attachments
Connections
Connections
08AE3C2F-4285-4D34-85F9-00B410798BBE (2).JPG (830.88 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Connections
Connections
F74FBD57-2CED-4D9A-94E8-AD7E072D6050 (2).JPG (716.77 KiB) Viewed 968 times

adafruit_support_carter

So it is either the Zero or how I installed the hammer headers but I was pretty careful and I think my connections look solid.
Agree. Can you post another photo of the bottom of the Zero showing the hammer headers better. They look fine from that one angle, but can't see the back row.
Anything else I can try?
At this point it would work best to trouble shoot on the Pi Zero itself. Do you have a way to access it?

HYKGOML

Post by HYKGOML »

crzysteve wrote:The RetroPie kit is a great idea. The challenge that I am having is that I can't get the joy bonnet to work. It boots up to the emulation station but the buttons don't do anything. I have built a Retro Pie before on a Pi 3. So I took my controller and the mini USB adapter and still nothing. I pulled the SD card and put it in my Pi 3 and it booted up but the controller still didn't work. I had a small keyboard controller connected to a bluetooth USB dongle. The arrow keys on that did allow me to move around in Emulator Station. The OK button worked like the Start button, but that was all I could do.

I did remove the bonnet and tried just the external controller as well, and that didn't work either.

So I am completely confused. It has to be the image because the controller didn't work in either piece of hardware. I reformatted the card and flashed it again, with the same exact results. Just kind of baffled at this point. Hoping to get this working so I can hand it to my 4 yo nephew when I see him next week.

Any ideas?
You downloaded the Adafruit image right?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adabox005/st ... to-sd-card
Next step is to burn our custom image onto the SD card. This image is a custom version of RetroPie / Emulation Station with some free or open source games pre-loaded, and set up to work with the Joy Bonnet.

velocipedal

Post by velocipedal »

HYKGOML wrote:
crzysteve wrote: I pulled the SD card and put it in my Pi 3 and it booted up but the controller still didn't work.

Any ideas?
There are separate images for the Pi 3 and the Pi Zero. It sounds like maybe you used the image for the 3? You want this one: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... ero.img.gz

You'll also want to set up controls for the keyboard first--the bonnet won't work just yet. Once you get the keyboard functioning, you can set up WiFi through EmulatorStation. After that, you can go to raspi-config and enable SSH, so you can access your Pi Zero remotely from another computer, which will make it easier for you to just copy and paste the commands to install support files for the joy bonnet: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-joy ... ll-and-use

adafruit_support_carter

Good suggestions about the image. Make sure you are using the one from the Adabox 005 guide.
booted from the disk I made for this project
I took that to mean it was the one from the guide. But should be sure.

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Good suggestions about the image. Make sure you are using the one from the Adabox 005 guide.
booted from the disk I made for this project
I took that to mean it was the one from the guide. But should be sure.
Yeah, I have the right image. That things works fine and boots up to the emulation station like it should. It also works on the 3 with the bonnet working fine. I have built a Retro Pie before so I know what it is supposed to do.

First time working with the zero. How do I get it set up with SSH so that it can be remoted into?
Attachments
pins
pins
pins.JPG (987.85 KiB) Viewed 929 times

velocipedal

Post by velocipedal »

Assuming you've set up your keyboard (and your WiFi), you can either hit F4 to get to the command line or just exit from the main menu. Once you're there, type:

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
In the configuration menu that pops up, navigate to Interfaces and then next to SSH, select enable.

You should then be able to ssh from Terminal on a Mac or PuTTY from Windows:
Default password is Raspberry if you haven't changed it.

adafruit_support_carter

How do I get it set up with SSH so that it can be remoted into?
Try using this guide (should be OK to use stretch for the OS image):
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... n/overview

Also try the sanity check suggested in that guide to make sure the Zero is actually OK.

[Edit]: Or if you have a keyboard / monitor attached and working, then don't need to worry about SSH.

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
How do I get it set up with SSH so that it can be remoted into?
Try using this guide (should be OK to use stretch for the OS image):
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... n/overview

Also try the sanity check suggested in that guide to make sure the Zero is actually OK.

[Edit]: Or if you have a keyboard / monitor attached and working, then don't need to worry about SSH.
So I won't be able to remote into it because it is just a Pi Zero and not a W. I don't have a wifi dongle, maybe I will get one eventually.

But I did connect a keyboard and skipped out of the boot. The keyboard works fin plugged into the USB. So now I just need to figure out how to test the Zero. At this point it has to be I/O because I can do stuff on the Pi, it boots up fine. I was able to get to games with a keyboard. I am using a keyboard in the OS. And the bonnet works fine on my pi 3.

The only thing can be the I/O pins on the Pi Zero.

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

velocipedal wrote:Assuming you've set up your keyboard (and your WiFi), you can either hit F4 to get to the command line or just exit from the main menu. Once you're there, type:

sudo raspi-config
In the configuration menu that pops up, navigate to Interfaces and then next to SSH, select enable.

You should then be able to ssh from Terminal on a Mac or PuTTY from Windows:
Default password is Raspberry if you haven't changed it.
Thanks! I thought this was a Zero W but it looks like it is just a Zero and I don't have a wifi dongle. But I did hook up the keyboard and that works fine.

adafruit_support_carter

But I did hook up the keyboard and that works fine.
So you have access that way? That'll work. We just need to run some commands on the Pi. Start by running this and post the output:

sudo i2cdetect -y 1

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
But I did hook up the keyboard and that works fine.
So you have access that way? That'll work. We just need to run some commands on the Pi.
Do you want me to do that with the bonnet on or off?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”