Controller not working in AdaBox005

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crzysteve

Re: Controller not working in AdaBox005

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
But I did hook up the keyboard and that works fine.
So you have access that way? That'll work. We just need to run some commands on the Pi.
I ran this with the bonnet on and it came back with all dashes - I looked at your tutorial and it looks like this without the 40 and 70.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16- ... pi-for-i2c

EDIT: Ran with the bonnet off and got the same thing. All -- under each location.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Hmmm. Seems like a connection issue. Let's try some of the buttons. Is the gpio utility installed on your Pi? Just type this to check:

Code: Select all

gpio

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Hmmm. Seems like a connection issue. Let's try some of the buttons. Is the gpio utility installed on your Pi? Just type this to check:

gpio
-bash: gpio: command not found

adafruit_support_carter

Hmmmm. What all else do you have that we might be able to use for testing? Do you have any breadboards, jumper wires, etc?

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

Sure. I got a breadboard, jumpers, LEDs, basically anything that comes with an Arduino starter kit, I have.

Does it mean anything that it said GPIO command not found?

I will be back later to run through any tests that you think I should do .

adafruit_support_carter

Does it mean anything that it said GPIO command not found?
Yeah. Means it's not installed. :( Which is too bad, as could've used it for some troubleshooting. If you were connected to the internet, could install it, but not an easy option on the Zero.

How about resistors and breadboard friendly buttons? Got any? And do you have the right gender jumpers to go from the Pi Zero header to the breadboard? Or did you get a starter kit with a Pi Cobbler? That would work.

crzysteve

Post by crzysteve »

Yeah, I have all kinds of jumpers, resistors, leds, buttons that will go on the breadboard.

adafruit_support_carter

OK. Set up the circuit below. Just your basic LED blink setup. Resistor value around 220 ohms. Black wire to ground. Red wire to GPIO 12.
test_setup.jpg
test_setup.jpg (216.39 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Then run the following from the command prompt on the Pi Zero.
To make GPIO 12 available:

echo "12" > /sys/class/gpio/export
To set it to output:

echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction
To turn LED on, set GPIO 12 high:

echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/value
To turn LED off, set GPIO12 low:

echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/value

neiljk

Post by neiljk »

Forgive a noob, but there's no link to start a new topic. I'm having an error booting up the AdaBox005. "Persistent settings partition seems corrupt. Reformat?" And, of course, none of the buttons on the Joy Bonnet do anything. Please advise.

adafruit_support_carter

@neiljk You should be able to start a new topic by going here:
viewforum.php?f=59
and then using the "POST A TOPIC" button:
new_topic.png
new_topic.png (91.89 KiB) Viewed 744 times

neiljk

Post by neiljk »

Thank you, Carter. I will do that right away. Neil.

sembazuru

Post by sembazuru »

@crzysteve

Looking at your first pictures of your setup (back on page 1), I notice something about your headers. It appears that you may have hammered the ends more than the middle. All the way on the left of the image I can just about make out part of the split in the header pin. Maybe you don't have good connection to your header on some critical pins, or some pins are pushed too far in and don't make contact inside the JoyBonnet connector.

I'd be tempted to go ahead and solder your hammer header, and/or or some gentle taps on the back-side to even the pins out. Though, I'm not sure how easy (or not) it would be to properly brace the board to avoid collateral damage.

Or, I could be way off base here. ;-)

adafruit_support_carter

In noticed that too but couldn't tell if it was just lighting. Also, the top portion seems flush, so not sure how much more hammering would help. Worth checking though:
pins.png
pins.png (289.27 KiB) Viewed 683 times

sembazuru

Post by sembazuru »

My point is the ends appear to be hammered too much. If the pins are hammered too much the plastic retention frame of the header would be stopped by the board and the pins pushed through. (You can also get this with regular headers, the pins are usually just friction fit into the plastic frame.) The way the hammer headers work is there is a split section of the pins that gets wedged into the plated through-holes of the board. For our uses, this is probably sufficient long term. But for high thermal cycle applications, the continual expansion and contraction of the pins against the edge of the fiberglass (through the THT plating) will eventually loosen the connections. But if the split section of the pins are pushed through the board then there will be no or intermittent connection between the THT hole and the pin, which is why I was suggesting soldering.

If the JoyBonnet were removed you would probably see an arc in the top of the pins that match the arc of the bottom pins. (Downloading the image and looking at it at 1:1 resolution shows that the effect isn't "a trick of light and shadow", unlike the face on Mars.) I don't know where in the JoyBonnet connector the contacts are, so I don't know if there might be some pins that are either just barely or not at all connecting. A picture from the OP of the bottom side of the board with the pins poking through in focus would help either confirm or refute my guess.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”