Pi backup SD card

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Kabaju42

Pi backup SD card

Post by Kabaju42 »

I'm trying to build a backup raspberry pi SD card. Do you need to put Noobs on it before you flash it with the retro pi image?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Pi backup SD card

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

When flashing an image to SD card, you typically don't need to do anything first. But are you trying to backup an existing card? Or just make two copies of an OS image you've downloaded?

Kabaju42

Post by Kabaju42 »

I'm just trying to create a second card for the pi.

sembazuru

Post by sembazuru »

No, you don't need to put Noobs on it (which is a flash operation anyway). Just flash the image you want (raspian, retro pi, Adabox005 specific retro pi, noobs, OSMB Kodi, etc.).

One thing to note, when trying to do this on MS-Win10 (at least for me with the latest creators pack updates) if there are multiple partitions on the card, the OS will show each partition as a separate hard drive letter. (Normally, this would be a Good Thing(TM), but gets confusing when trying to figure out where to point the disk image writing software.) Run the card through as many iterations of the official SanDisk SDFormatter as it takes for only a single partition to show. (I was able to get away with 1, but others have reported 2 or more.) Once the SD card shows as a single drive letter you have an easily identifiable target for your disk image writer software. If you aren't on MS-Win10, you can ignore this entire paragraph. ;-)

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

This article also has some useful information:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/back-up-raspberry-pi/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”