Joy Bonnet on Raspbian (no internet)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Joy Bonnet on Raspbian (no internet)

by Kabaju42 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Ok so I got the retropie working on my adabox005, and everything works great. Yay! So I know the hardware is good.

Now I have another SD card and I'm trying to get Raspbian running on it with the Joy Bonnet controller acting as a keyboard. The problem is I don't have a way to connect my Raspberry Pi to the internet. The only way I have to put software/files on it is to take out the SD card and plug it into my PC. I ran joy-bonnet.sh and it reported errors since it can't connect to the internet. I got joyBonnet.py into the root directory (like the .sh file was trying to do) and I made sure that I2C is enabled. But the joy bonnet still doesn't work. Any ideas what else to do?

Kabaju42

Re: Joy Bonnet on Raspbian (no internet)

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 am

It might be possible to do by hand on another Linux system, but not on a Windows machine or a Mac. The script needs to install software, including a system update, and non-Linux systems can't mount the Raspbian OS partition to do that.

adafruit_support_mike

by Kabaju42 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:51 am

Hmm interesting. I do run Ubuntu, and there is that live CD that came with MagPi. Can you tell me more of how to try that?

Here's another thought I've had. Does the image for adabox005 run raspbian in the background? If so, can I set it to not start the retropie in the beginning?

Kabaju42

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 am

The OS partition on the SD card will be an ext4 filesystem, and Ubuntu should be able to mount that.

Once you have it mounted, you'll basically need to do manually what the `apt` system would do when installing files. it's possible, but will be a lot of work.

RetroPie does run on top of Raspbian, and you can configure it to allow ssh logins by putting a file named 'ssh' in the /BOOT partition. That will give you general command-line access, and you can launch/kill/configure things as you please from there.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.