Adabox004
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adabox004

by anderhoff on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Finally getting around to Adabox004 after moving (long story). Got lost in the web of links to software and resources, but got through it all. Just wished the links outside the Adafruit.com domain opened in a new browser window or tab, so as to keep my place. I'm currently of the thought that a more unified tutorial covering the Arduino IDE and a setup section for each of the boards Adafruit offers/sells might be rather useful.

I'm having issues with the ESP32/ESP8266 compile tools (all ESP??.exe files) and Windows 10 Defender flagging them as false positives. The powers in charge need to know, treat it as a bug, and get it fixed (for clarity, not Adafruit, but rather the group behind ESP chips).

Via the Serial Monitor built into Arduino IDE, I'm getting garbage characters as output from the Adafruit HUZZAH Feather ESP8266 upon a reboot. It seems any of the Serial.println functions are not working, as well as any input via the Serial Monitor (if I'm reading the code right, "S", "P", ".", etc.).

In trying to add IR functionality (copy and pasting code from the Adabox004 tutorial), I get the following output:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Multiple libraries were found for "SD.h"
 Used: C:\Users\poul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.3.0\libraries\SD
 Not used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SD
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266.

Any ideas for either issue?

anderhoff

Re: Adabox004

by anderhoff on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Blah! Missed a few steps, particularly getting and installing the IRremoteESP8266 support files. The real compile error was from the missing "IRutils.h" file. So that's resolved.

But the garbage output still remains. Another post within the forums linked to another forum suggested 3.3V on the FDTI and/or USB cable is needed. The cable being used is from the kit, so I can't imagine that the included cable is bad.

anderhoff

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 pm

The SD library is now included in the board support packages, so any version you have in sketchbook/libraries will cause problems. It's easiest just to get rid of those.

The ESP8266 emits a short burst of information at 78600 baud (IIRC) after it boots, but before switching over to 115200. Problems beyond that usually trace back to a baudrate mismatch in the Arduinio IDE's Serial Monitor.

adafruit_support_mike

by anderhoff on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 am

Ah, yes, so it is. The first half of bits come through at 74880 and the rest of it comes through at 115200.

FYI: This is a fresh install of the Arduino IDE on this machine.

anderhoff

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 am

That's the speed, thank you.

It's generally recognized as a quirk you learn to live with. It's hardwired in ROM, so there's no way to change it, and aside from the inital blip of hash it never causes any other trouble.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.