Adabox006: Christmas-y Lights
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adabox006: Christmas-y Lights

by ron_g on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 pm

When I got my box I immediately thought it would be cool to use the Neopixels for a Christmas-y light display using a few of the included components:
    - Circuit Playground Express
    - AAA battery holder with belt clip
    - Magnetic pin back to attach the CPx to a shirt pocket (or cap or lapel...)

No real assembly required and it didn't take long to hack together a Python script to get started. Code is here https://github.com/ronguest/CPx_Christmas_Lights/blob/master/code.py

I had a small lipo battery on hand and have also used that to power the project. It's enough to last through a party, and probably through a work day.

ron_g

Re: Adabox006: Christmas-y Lights

by ron_g on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Short video of the simple light display is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs66p5detrzek3t/IMG_9216.m4v?dl=0

ron_g

by Gruver on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Great minds!

I did same,. Set the brightness to 200, attached to the li-pro battery from Adabox 4 (5?) and dropped it in my pocket. Got some nice compliments at our Christmas morning family get together.

The best part was coming home and having my daughter ask "how did you do that dad?". I showed her Make Code and then she spent an hour or two making various light patterns. When she found that she could use a "shake" to activate she was all in. Showed her the snow globe project. Guess what we are making this week :-)

Gruver

by MizeSoundGuy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 am

Gruver, you have absolutely, positively done a good thing for your daughter and humanity by getting her interested in making stuff. My hat is off to you.

Keep up the good work.

--MizeSoundGuy

MizeSoundGuy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.