Adabox005 Joy Bonnet won't stack
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adabox005 Joy Bonnet won't stack

by devinganger on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 am

All,

I'm trying to add a Red Bear IoT pHAT to my Adabox005 Retropie setup. I got the stacking headers and soldered them on the IoT pHAT, and have tested it with the Pi Zero. Everything was good. Then I went to add the Joy Bonnet from Adabox005 on the top and no boot up.

When I looked, one of the pins on the stacking header had been bent. So I looked more by plugging the Joy Bonnet both into my Zero and an RPi3, and the Joy Bonnet is definitely not pressing down evenly -- it will press down farther on the ends than it will in the middle. I took a length of wire and put it into each socket in the Joy Bonnet header connector to identify which pin, and sure enough, looking at the joy bonnet from the header side with the "It's dangerous to go alone" logo right-side up, the wire only inserts half way into the 9th hole from the right on the top row (which, if my geometry is correct, is GPIO11/SCLK):

LOGO
O O O O O O O O O O O X O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Is there an easy way to clear the obstruction from my Joy Bonnet, or do I have to get a new one?

devinganger

Re: Adabox005 Joy Bonnet won't stack

by devinganger on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 am

I inserted a set of header pins into the joy bonnet and sure enough, the target pin pushed up. See the attached photo.

headerpin.jpg
headerpin.jpg (155.94 KiB) Viewed 542 times

devinganger

Re: Adabox005 Joy Bonnet won't stack

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:16 am

Hmm.. something must have gotten into that fork in the header.

It's definitely a component problem though, so let's get you a replacement. Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you another Joy Bonnet.

(#3464)

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.