Adabox 004 Playing first Mp3 error

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rhinofifteen

Adabox 004 Playing first Mp3 error

Post by rhinofifteen »

I've just received my first Adabox as a gift and it seems cool but it has been giving me a ton of trouble. First the sketch wouldn't upload to the board then the correct board option in Arduino IDE wouldn't show up. I have fixed both of those problems now but after I upload feather_player to my board it plays a short tone then nothing happens. The serial monitor does not output anything that makes sense but instead says something like this:

Code: Select all

⸮n?⸮$⸮!⸮⸮⸮⸮OCAC⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮O⸮⸮⸮

Please help me figure out what's wrong, I have not modified the sketch in any way and I made sure all of the board and components are assembled correctly.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adabox 004 Playing first Mp3 error

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The first little burst of gibberish is normal.

The ESP8266's bootloader is burned in ROM, and it emits a short debug message at 74880 baud before it hands control to the code you've uploaded. That's an unusual baudrate, and the Arduino IDE usually sees the signals as nonsense.

If all of your output looks like that, not just the first line, it probably means you have a baudrate mismatch. Check your code's Serial.begin() statement to see what value it uses, and make sure the IDE's Serial Monitor is set to the same rate.

rhinofifteen

Post by rhinofifteen »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The first little burst of gibberish is normal.

The ESP8266's bootloader is burned in ROM, and it emits a short debug message at 74880 baud before it hands control to the code you've uploaded. That's an unusual baudrate, and the Arduino IDE usually sees the signals as nonsense.

If all of your output looks like that, not just the first line, it probably means you have a baudrate mismatch. Check your code's Serial.begin() statement to see what value it uses, and make sure the IDE's Serial Monitor is set to the same rate.
The issue is, there is no other output. It just does that and stops. No other code running, no other output in the monitor, no sound from the board.

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections please. Let's see if there are any clues there.

800x600 images usually work best.

rhinofifteen

Post by rhinofifteen »

I skipped ahead a few Steps then tried that new sequence of code for the potentiometer and the switch. It works with that one. Something about that first set of code just doesn’t want to work. Thanks for the help!

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear you got things working. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”