Adding internet to AdaBox005

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Darkness901

Adding internet to AdaBox005

Post by Darkness901 »

I got this box for Christmas and I’m absolutely in love with it! It’s the perfect introduction to the pi platform. My experience with programming is limited teaching mlineyself basic, taking C++ my senior year of high school, and some html and the like I’ve picked up along the way. The command was easy to figure out because I remember navigating around DOS and I did a few things like changing the emulator from “Mega Drive” to “Sega Genesis”.

Now I’m trying to get it online to download new themes and splash screens, scrape metadata, and be able to download updates. The wifi dongle I bought causes the Pi0 to restart when I plug it in to the USB adapter, which I figure is a power problem. When it restarts, I can’t get it to show any networks in RasPi-config. I added the network id and password via a USB drive, and still nothing. I’m pretty sure that’s still a power supply issue.

So until I can get a powered USB hub, I figured I’d try the Ethernet-over-USB method and plug the Pi0 into my laptop and SSH in locally using Putty. The problem is that when my computer does recognize the Pi0 as an ethernet device, I get a garbage IP (157.27.0.1)address and I can’t get Putty to connect. (Caveat: My laptop is an old Toshiba still running Vista.)

When I enter “cat /etc/network/interfaces” at the command line, it starts:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual

And from my searching on GitHub, it looks like it should say either “static” or “dhcp” where it says “manual”. Should I change that? Or is my problem something else?

Thanks in advance!

ZzyzxOh

Re: Adding internet to AdaBox005

Post by ZzyzxOh »

Manual means you select and enter your selected internet IP address. I am not familiar with the product, but if you can change your configuration to use DHCP, it would be more standard. But be aware you would need software support on the device for that to work.

Sometimes ai set manual to something like 192.168.1.250 just to try things out.

Good luck.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”