Temp/Hum+Time/Date on a 32x16 Matrix
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Temp/Hum+Time/Date on a 32x16 Matrix

by robwlakes on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:56 am

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the great 32x16 matrix display and Arduino interface shield. I have used an Arduino Uno with a 433MHz SuperHet Rx and an Oregon Scientific Temperature and Humidity Sensor (THGR122NX) to drive one of your matrix displays. Every 10 seconds it switches between showing Temperature and relative Humidity, and then Time and Date (takes day and month off the onboard RTC). I use a decoding system for the Oregon Scientific sensor that relies on delays to decode the protocol data packets. The timing just needed to be tweaked to allow for the time the display takes to multiplex the LEDs under interrupt and it works flicker free.

Edit: I need to add that I have no financial connection with Oregon Scientific, and if I was starting again I know I can build my own weather station from scratch with a 3D printer. I would build my ownfrom scratch, anemometer, wind vane and rain gauge https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2849562.

You can get the code for this project plus some extra explanation here https://github.com/robwlakes/Weather_Matrix

temphum.jpg
This is picked up from an Oregon Scientific T/H sensor, over 433MHz, outside the building.
temphum.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 217 times
timedate.jpg
This is derived from the Adadfruit shield for the Matrix display as it also has an onboard RTC.
timedate.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 217 times

It has pride of place behind the bar at our local Tavern and shows the external temperature and humidity, 24/7. A nice conversation starter!

Cheers, Rob
Last edited by robwlakes on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

robwlakes

Re: Temp/Hum+Time/Date on a 32x16 Matrix

by kcl1s on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Cool project! Thanks for sharing.

Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.