mini lumia projector prototype
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

mini lumia projector prototype

by xoxos on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

i put this together rather quickly as a gift. a trinket M0 with four neopixel LEDs under lenses. there are two rotating rings above the LEDs which can support a variety of swappable "lenses" crafted out of various items. i find chunks of broken glass create the most interesting difractions due to the ripples. various lenses fit on top of the housing, eg. a 40mm half sphere lens which can spread the display over a large area. the neopixels are bright enough to project onto a residential ceiling in the dark

this is one of my early builds and there are issues, you see it at optimal performance here. i'd ordered some "slow" worm gear micro motors from ebay and started making the cabinet as soon as i found they had enough torque to resist touch. i wired them up to my trinket with some transistors and resistors from decades ago and they have barely any power, often seizing up on the gears (which were amazing to print with a 0.4mm nozzle), which made this iteration not much fun. i've been planning on printing gears for the next attempt, but perhaps i should simply rethink the motor strategy and go with steppers or ? any product recommendations? ideally the lenses should rotate extremely slowly to exhibit those cobwebby compound diffractions from two layers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzinWGWgEKE
xoxos

Re: mini lumia projector prototype

by johnpark on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

That's beautiful looking with the broken glass refractions, great project. I think you may get the speed you need from a geared stepper like this one https://www.adafruit.com/product/858.

johnpark

by xoxos on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 pm

thank you john. making good glass fractures is so far a bit hit or miss, but nice yes. something i haven't seen but may try is using water for the upper lens with a transducer to shape it by vibrational modes.
xoxos

by johnpark on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Love this idea, can't wait to see how it goes!

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.