adabox subscription
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

adabox subscription

by alphanano on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello!
I love my adaboxes but it would be nice if you guys could be more consistent with the billing dates. I looked a few days ago and my subscription said I would be charged around the Oct 2nd. Today I looked at my bank account and saw the premliminary charge. I am currently travelling and these types of charges that are not planned for can make things a bit difficult for people. I really don't want to have to cancel this subscription so if possible can we have consistent billing dates for it?
Thanks!

alphanano

Re: adabox subscription

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:25 am

I'm afraid GAAP rules take priority over convenient timing.

We're only allowed to take money at specific times while processing an order, and there's no practical way we can handle "process my order on exactly this date" stipulations. If you need tighter control over your billing, it would probably be better to buy the Adabox kits when they're released as general products.

adafruit_support_mike

by cleavet on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Interesting, Mike--I had wondered about the Adabox charge as well. Is that so that the MRR doesn't spill over into 2019, or does it have something to do with how you folks do revenue recognition, or something else?

Since I'm asking you to describe (indirectly) what you all are making with Adabox, this is clearly on-topic. ;-)

cleavet

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 am

The ultra-abbreviated version is that we can only record payments on days when we deliver something in return. Apparently the government thinks it's too easy to get creative if you record payments and shipments at different times.

The longer version is, I'm not a CPA and anyone actually trained in that subject can talk circles around me. Our financial gurus say that's how we do it, and they've gotten praise from the city, state, federal, customs, and independent auditors who've come in to check their work over the past few years. They defer to my knowledge of charge transport in semiconductors, I defer to their judgement in matters of record keeping and financial law. ;-)

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.