Preassrmbled option for disabled LED fans?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Preassrmbled option for disabled LED fans?

by ttennebkram on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:11 pm

I really love the 64x64 RHB LED panels. The 64x64 Sand Toy is amazing, in that it’s all put together. If there access to it (via MicroSD or WiFi or whatever, I could even add my own patterns, etc (I do know how to code)

But even with special glasses, I can’t do much with electronic components, they’re so tiny. I’ve managed a few things on a bread board, and I think I could maybe wire wrap, but ICs with lots of pins are trouble sometimes, which pins are bent!? And soldering is out of the question as i’d need my face too close to the iron.

I’d be happy to pay extra for preassembled. Also for the Sand Box Toy I don’t have a 3D printer. I did have one for a while, I tried to use my cell phone camera to look inside, but it was hopeless so I sold it.

I could imagine other folks with limited use of their arms also having trouble.

In general I’m very excited about all the micro controller stuff, because there’s less and less soldering and fine details, but then on cool projects there’s always something, like soldering or or 3D printing or other tiny work, and then I’m stuck.

I haven’t found any FAQ for stuff like this here or on SparkFun. Like I say, it’s not a question of money, I have a job! (software stuff)

One idea I had lately was maybe if I could hook up cameras to an Oculus or something, to zoom WAY in and be able to aim with your head maybe that would wotk, but again it would need integration hardware,

I also asked my maker space about help for low vision / low mobility help, but they really didn’t have an answer.

Anyway, if any vendor has a policy, even if they don’t normally preassemble, that they will in small batches for disabled hobbyists, please let me know!!! Or any other ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

ttennebkram

Re: Preassrmbled option for disabled LED fans?

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 am

We don't do assembly, but check to see if there's a hackerspace near you:

https://www.adafruit.com/distributors/

You might find someone there who'd job out assembly, and they're also likely to have things like 3D printers. You can also work with them on assistive technology like a USB microscope hooked up to a large HDMI display to improve visibility while you're soldering. I do a lot of surface-mount soldering, all of it under a binocular microscope.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Preassrmbled option for disabled LED fans?

by johnpark on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Mark, this may be a good time to mention that we're going into beta testing of our Adafruit jobs board. That could eventually be a good place to post and connect with people interested in assembling projects. https://jobs.adafruit.com/

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.