Can't get uploaded code to run on Hallowing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't get uploaded code to run on Hallowing

by apullin on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm

I am having a little difficulty getting basic/any code to run on my Hallowing that just came in my adabox.

I can enter the bootloader with a double-click. Copying one of the UF2 files for the eyeball test works, and the board will go into the animated eye program.

But for basic code, like blink (on pin 13) or the "graphics test" or "full test" examples given in the guide, it seems like no code runs.
The Upload step will kick the board into the bootloader, and report successful flash & verify, and a CPU reset.
But then it appears that no code is running, since neither example produces any response on the board (pin13 LED or TFT).

Same result when building & flashing via PlatformIO (again, treating the board as a Feather M0 Express).

apullin

Re: Can't get uploaded code to run on Hallowing

by pdq1999 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm just starting out with the Hallowing and had a similar problem of not being able to get code to run. My issue is most likely due to using an old OS (XP) but here's what I tried to get things to work. Before I tried these I was able to get into the bootloader mode and the hallowing would show up under device manager as expected.

Updated the Adafruit Serial Port Driver (W7 and older) which can be found towards the middle of the page here - https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... er-details

Probably the main issue is that when I would drag the new UF2 to the bootloader drive it would only copy over the link path even though it would show the correctfilename.UF2 but only showed as a 1K file. What worked is I right clicked on the UF2 link and 'save as' directly to the bootloader drive.

Hope this might be helpful.

pdq1999

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

@apullin Did you install everything needed for getting the Arduino IDE setup?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... rduino-ide
Are you selecting "Adafruit Hallowing M0" for Tools -> Board?

adafruit_support_carter

by apullin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:10 am

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Are you selecting "Adafruit Hallowing M0" for Tools -> Board?

:facepalm:

I blew right through the instructions where it says the board can be "used like a Feather M0 express", so I was just selecting that board type.
And the Hallowing was at the bottom of the list, so I glossed over it there, too.

Everything works now. Thanks.

apullin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.