HALLOWING - UF2 files won't work on my Mac
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

HALLOWING - UF2 files won't work on my Mac

by NSealey on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm

I loved the eye, but had worked through the directions on the Blink sketch, and then wanted to go back to the eye. The UF2 files won't work, I assume because I'm on a Mac. I have gone through the Electronic Animated Eyes tutorial linked in the main post. I have installed all the libraries, etc. Please help - I had two projects planned, but I need the eye back. THANK YOU!

NSealey

Re: HALLOWING - UF2 files won't work on my Mac

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:51 am

Does the microcontroller mount as a removeable drive?

adafruit_support_mike

by NSealey on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 am

Yes. It shows up as the Hallowing.

NSealey

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 am

Good. Does the red LED pulse when you double-click the reset button to launch the bootloader?

adafruit_support_mike

by ejb on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Just so you know, this does work on Mac computers. I'm using an older MacBook Pro, running the current version of OSX. Double click the reset button and the HALLOWBOOT drive should show up on your desktop. Just drag your desired UF2 file onto the drive and it should work. No problems. Don't worry if there is an error message saying "disc not ejected properly." I've not had any major problems getting my Mac to work with any of the AdaBox projects so far (boxes 2-9). I've tried the entire set of precompiled Spooky_Eye UF2 files that you can download directly and they all work just fine. I've also compiled the code and loaded it onto the Hallowing through the Arduino IDE and that has worked well too. Getting the IDE application to work can be a little more tricky, you need all your ducks in a row or it will trip you up. First, see if you can just drag and drop one of the precompiled UF2 files onto the Hallowboot drive. There's little room for anything to go wrong so that makes for a good test. Then If you want to try it with the arduino IDE, make sure you have the latest version. Select the Adafruit Hallowing MO board and make sure you have the right port selected, on my computer: dev/cu.usbmode1421 (Adafruit Hallowing M0). That worked for me. I even failed to go into the code and select the TFT configuration and it still worked. Lastly make sure your Hallowing is switched on. Oh and one more thought. They didn't provide a micro USB cable with the kit. I guess they had to cut costs somehow but that can be a very frustrating source of error. Some of the cheap Chinese cables don't work well. Some only work as chargers and don't even pass data. Try another cable if you have one. I also had to go into the library manager and add the Adafruit_ZeroDMA library. Otherwise it wouldn't compile. That's all I can think of. Good luck!

ejb

by NSealey on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes, and then it turns green.

NSealey

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:50 am

You mentioned the Blink sketch, which probably means you programmed the Hallowing with the Arduino IDE.

Try running this sketch to reinstall the default UF2 bootloader:

https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... ruit.6.ino

Then see if dropping the UF2 images from the Hallowing tutorial works.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.