Troubleshooting Hallowing What's the next step?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Troubleshooting Hallowing What's the next step?

by kg6fnk on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I got a Hallowing in my AdaBox 009 and it is the first microcontroller that I've ever tried to use. However, I can't seem to get off the ground. As in I can't even get the blink example or any other unmodified example to work and I'm not sure why and what the next thing to try is.

I have the latest Arduino app 1.8.7 and it appears to download the code but when the CPU resets -- nothing. I can get back to the bootloader and can try again but nothing happens. I would hope that after the CPU reset, the Artduino firmware work take over and provide a serial console back to my laptop's OS as long as the microUSB is connected. However, no device is ever seen until I do the double tap of the reset button to go back to the bootloader.

I considered the possibility that it was the microUSB that was interfering with the arduino program but even if I unplug it and run it off of the provided battery using the simplest of programs like blink the microcontroller sits there apparently inert.

I've been a C/C++ programmer for the last 30 years and I know my way around computers but I can't seem to get off the ground with this hallowing. What's the next thing to try? How do I debug this thing?

The end of my log upload log with verbose on is:

[====================== ] 75% (128/170 pages)write(addr=0x20005000,size=0xa80)
writeBuffer(scr_addr=0x20005000, dst_addr=0x4000, size=0xa80)

[==============================] 100% (170/170 pages)
done in 0.066 seconds

Verify 10832 bytes of flash with checksum.
checksumBuffer(start_addr=0x2000, size=0x1000) = 2b2e
checksumBuffer(start_addr=0x3000, size=0x1000) = 9118
checksumBuffer(start_addr=0x4000, size=0xa50) = 49a8
Verify successful
done in 0.015 seconds
CPU reset.
readWord(addr=0)=0x20002dd8
readWord(addr=0xe000ed00)=0x410cc601
readWord(addr=0x41002018)=0x10010305
writeWord(addr=0xe000ed0c,value=0x5fa0004)

Then nothing until I doubleclick the reset button.

I've tried it with and without the battery.
I've set the board to AdaFruit Feather M0 Express and AdaFruit Feather M0 (to see if that was the problem)
I've tried two different micro-USB cables one of which came with ADABOX008.
I've tried different ports on my Lenovo P51 laptop running Fedora28.

When I enable the serial monitor after a few seconds it says that it cannot find /dev/ttyACM0

The Eye demo was working when I first got the board and so I don't think it is broken. I just have run out of ideas of how to troubleshoot this problem.

I'm running Arduino 1.8.7
And I am running the original UF2 file that came with the Hallowing
$ ls
CURRENT.UF2 INDEX.HTM INFO_UF2.TXT
$ cat INFO_UF2.TXT
UF2 Bootloader v2.0.0-adafruit.0-21-g887cc30 SFHWRO
Model: Hallowing M0
Board-ID: SAMD21G18A-Feather-v0

kg6fnk

Re: Troubleshooting Hallowing What's the next step?

by adamsd5 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 am

Stuck at the exact same place. Note that I have the circuit playground image working, and also each of the different eyeball images work, but I can't get the Arduino blink sketch to work. As soon as the upload completes, the board seems to reset and then go dark. No com port connection at that point. Only think that works is a double-click on the button to go back to the bootloader.

Hoping to use this as part of my costume this year, but if I can't program it, it will just be the eyeball on a neck strap.

adamsd5

by adamsd5 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 am

Oh! I got blink working. Seems dumb, but I had selected the board for "Adafruit Feather M0 Express", as suggested by the documentation (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hallowing?view=all#). However, there now seems to be a specific one for the Hallowing. Using "Adafruit Hallowing M0" and now my sketch uploads and blinks.

Hope it helps!

adamsd5

by kg6fnk on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Thank you. That was the problem. I too was misled by the documentation that refers to the Hallowing as tricked out Feather M0 Express.

It sounds crazy but the problem was my monitor, setup given my font size and the resolution when I go to Tool->Board to select the board, the last entry that I see is: "Adafruit Feather M4 Express (SAMD51)" which is at the very bottom of my screen and there is no indication in the UI that there is an entry below it. If I move the Arduino app to my laptop display vs my big monitor it renders the menu such that you can see all of it. It is only when the menu crosses the interface between my big monitor (above) and the laptop display below that the full menu isn't displayed.

kg6fnk

by adamsd5 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:09 pm

I can't stand the fonts in that gui... It's most of the reason I don't do much arduino dev work! I'd love to use eclipse or even VS Code.

adamsd5

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.