ADABOX010: bootloader mode issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ADABOX010: bootloader mode issue

by exor674 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:45 pm

I powered the device up once and was able to interact with the initial/"demo" mode

I then unplugged the device, and plugged it back into USB, and double-tapped the reset button to get in bootloader mode. No USB devices show up ( I am watching for a device of any type to show up -- not just a drive or serial port or whatever else random it's gonna do ).
Additionally, I am now no longer seeing the device boot into the initial/"demo" mode -- it just shows a solid PURPLE LED on the back, with no additional response.
( This does not seem like the CircuitPython error, as it never flashes a line number, and stays solid purple )

The only USB ports I have access to are USB 3.0, I do not have access to a 2.0 port to check if this is an issue where the board does not like backward compatibility for some reason?
I have tried using 3 different USB cables, and multiple different ports ( across 2 devices and hub/direct/etc ) -- as above the only thing I am unable to test is a USB 2.0-only port. ( I have obviously been using USB 2.0-only cables )

I do not have the means to attempt to reflash the bootloader on this board given the header is unpopulated.

exor674

Re: ADABOX010: bootloader mode issue

by sabarrett328 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 pm

I"m having similar issues. I tried to double click the reset button like it says, and if I go slow, it just resets a second time and says usb device not recognized. If I go too fast, it locks up and the light on the back stays red. I tried hitting the buttons multiple times for about 15-20 minutes and could not get it to show up. Always the not recognized. I tried multiple ports on my Win 10 64 bit Lenovo T440P to no avail. I did not have another cable with me, so I was only using the one included in the adabox. That will be my next attempt tonight.

Any others having this issue?

sabarrett328

by adafruit2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pm

can you try another computer? just because we do a USB test and some computers for some reason are a little finicky with it, but its probably fine

especially a mac - those seem to work best for some reason :/

adafruit2
Site Admin

by exor674 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 pm

I've tried a THIRD computer. With 2 different cables. Still not showing up as a USB device ( again: I'm not checking for a drive/serial port/HID/mouse/MIDI/etc... I am checking to see if ANYTHING attempts to negotiate. complete radio silence )

I've tried a FOURTH computer ( through a USB C -> USB 3.0 adapter ): Nothing. I do not have the means on this machine to see if *anything* connects. But a drive sure doesn't. And YES I've tried a USB memory stick through the same adapter and it shows up just fine.

I have nothing else I can readily test this on.

I've confirmed both of those cables working with a different device.

Also: If I did not ever get the drive to show up, let alone do anything with it? Where did the demo program go? Or was that something that self-destructs after the first power-on?

exor674

by adafruit2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:25 pm

very weird, especially since it used to run code. and if you single click - e.g. not bootloader, you never see a device either? and the demo doesn't run anymore at all?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by exor674 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I plug the board in: Purple LED, no device, no demo
I single-click the reset button: Still Purple, no device, no demo
I double-click the reset: solid Red, no device, no demo

I've let it sit in all 3 states for a while and no demo and no device.

exor674

by adafruit2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 pm

exfor - ok it is unusual - lets RMA it, and sen dyou a new one
email [email protected] with a link to this thread, ask for a new neotrellis mainboard *and* an RMA "FORPHIL" to send back the one you've got. it may be helpful to have it for debuggin!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by sabarrett328 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:09 am

Apparently the cable shipping with the box doesn't work for data transfer, at least with my computer. I was able to copy the files successfully

sabarrett328

by adafruit2 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 pm

ok, good debugging!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.