Neo Trellis M4 not recognized by PC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neo Trellis M4 not recognized by PC

by BiologyBen on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:05 am

Trying to setup the Neo Trellis M4 board from the ADABOX 10 and it starts up with the back LED already lit green. Double Press of the reset button changes to red and freezes the LED/Button matrix. Never do I see a drive popup like I do with the Circuit Playground boards I've used.

I've never seen it recognized or able to transfer a uf2 file to it.

PC is running on Windows 7 Home.
Last edited by BiologyBen on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiologyBen

Re: Neo Trellis M4 not recognized by PC

by Powderjockey on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 am

I'm having the same problem. Mine is flashing green, I double click and it flashes red. Long click and back to flashing green. At one point I had the device show up in Finder (Mac OSX), but it said "No Name", not Ciruitpy or Trellism4.

It started out great, copied over the .uf2 file and had things somewhat working. Started to follow the tutorials and that's when everything locked. Was trying to use Mu at the time.

I've double clicked until I'm blue in the face!

Any advise?

PS, is the cable in the Adabox 10 a data cable or just for charging. I've tried a couple of other cables I know that work for data and still nothing.

Powderjockey

by bmilbrand on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:36 pm

I am having the same problem. I have tried multiple cables and multiple computers (Mac & PC). When I double click, I get a red light. According to the website, this is a problem with the cable. I am using the cable that came with the Trellis. When I double click, the LED goes Red and then the front freezes.

bmilbrand

by Powderjockey on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Well, tried to double click this when I arrived home from work today and the unit had the solid green led and showed the Trelm4boot in Finder. I then dragged the UF2 (adafruit-circuitpython-trellis_m4_express-en_US-20181105-283e072.uf2) onto the drive and now I get the NO NAME drive.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 17.39.15.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 17.39.15.png (389.82 KiB) Viewed 353 times

Powderjockey

by danhalbert on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:35 pm

All you folks with "NO NAME" drives:
1. First just try rebooting the host computer. Sometimes errors the host sees can persist even though nothing is wrong.

2. If that doesn't work, it's quite possible the CIRCUITPY filesystem is corrupted. Please copy anything you need from the drive, and then go into the REPL and do
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
import storage
storage.erase_filesystem()

This will erase the filesystem and re-create it. Then copy back what you need.

Full details here: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... ive-issues

If you still see "NO NAME" after 2., let us know.

danhalbert

by johnpark on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Powderjockey, it looks like you dragged a .uf2 file onto the drive when it wasn't in TRELM4BOOT mode. You can delete that one. Since your issue doesn't seem to fall under the topic of the original post (Trellis M4 not recognized by PC) would you please start a new thread so we can troubleshoot it there? Thanks!

johnpark

by Powderjockey on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Ok. I'll give that a go after work and post back later.

Powderjockey

by johnpark on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Bmilbrand, did you by any chance update the bootloader, or were you never able to see TRELM4BOOT show up? We're trying understand what happened. Each board passes a USB test before shipping, so we're not quite sure why it won't show up on your machine.

johnpark

by johnpark on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm

BiologyBen is there a chance you could try it on a different machine? We did see one case where a board didn't want to enumerate on a PC, but then did on a mac.

johnpark

by bmilbrand on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm

John,

It never showed up. I haven't been able to load anything. When I double click the reset button, the LED turned red and the LEDs on the front freeze and I get nothing else from there. I've tried on both a Mac and a PC using the cable with the kit and with my own cable. I get the same results every time.

johnpark wrote:Bmilbrand, did you by any chance update the bootloader, or were you never able to see TRELM4BOOT show up? We're trying understand what happened. Each board passes a USB test before shipping, so we're not quite sure why it won't show up on your machine.

bmilbrand

by adafruit2 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:59 pm

if you're running windows 7 try installing the drivers
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... ses/latest

adafruit2
Site Admin

by danhalbert on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:53 pm

@bmilbrand - What do you mean when you say "LEDs on the front freeze". Do you mean they are all illuminated in some way, but the buttons don't work?

danhalbert

by bmilbrand on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:36 pm

The Trellis comes with the Eight-Step Drummer pre-installed. When I double click the reset button on the back, whatever is illuminated on the front when the second click is made stays illuminated and doesn't respond to any inputs. If the first column is illuminated white, they will stay white and not move.

danhalbert wrote:@bmilbrand - What do you mean when you say "LEDs on the front freeze". Do you mean they are all illuminated in some way, but the buttons don't work?

bmilbrand

by danhalbert on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:41 pm

@bmilbrand: If you single-click, does the Drummer program start as expected and run as normal?

danhalbert

by bmilbrand on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm

danhalbert wrote:@bmilbrand: If you single-click, does the Drummer program start as expected and run as normal?

Yes, if I single click, it will reset the unit into its startup and then enter the Drummer program again.

bmilbrand

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.