Neo Trellis M4 not recognized by PC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Neo Trellis M4 not recognized by PC

by BiologyBen on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 am

Just confirming that my unit is performing identical to that described by bmilbrand. I do not have another PC here nor a Mac at all, but I’ll try to take it into work and see if there is any change.

BiologyBen

by danhalbert on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:42 am

@bmilbrand and @BiologyBen: Thanks for your patience. It seems more likely this is some kind of power or USB connection problem, as opposed to a bootloader problem. Since you're seeing a red LED on the back, the bootloader is working well enough to complain it can't see USB.

Here is something to try to determine if the USB problem is due to drawing too much power when the sequencer starts up.

1. Hold down the reset button.
2.Then plug in the USB cable, continuing to hold down the button.
3. Release the button and quickly double click. No Trellis button lights on the front should come on.

The idea is to get into the bootloader before the CircuitPython Drummer program has a chance to start up. Hopefully you'll get a solid green LED on the back and TRELM4BOOT will show up as a drive.

If you have the back panel on the Trellis, you can use something like a chopstick or an LED that fits neatly in the reset button hole to do the double-clicking. It's sort of tricky to do with a pen or other skinny object.

Let us know how this works out either way. Thanks!

If it does work and you get a green LED on the back, try interposing a powered USB hub between the computer the Trellis, to see if it's not the computer's USB port's power capacity that are the issue. Then double-click normally and see what happens

danhalbert

by bmilbrand on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I tried this, but as soon as I plug the Trellis into my Mac, it kills my MacBook Pro. The computer turns off and goes dark instantly (as soon as the USB cable is plugged in) and my power cable does not light (amber or green, it is dark also). I was fortunate that the Mac came back after a couple days on it's own, but I am not sure how to get it back this time. At this point, I am not sure I want to plug in the Trellis to any other computer.

** UPDATE ** I just pulled the battery and plugged it back in. This reset the MacBook Pro so I could use it again. I was using the metal braided cable provided with the kit along with the trellis.

bmilbrand

by Powderjockey on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm

How old is your Macbook Pro?

Powderjockey

by bmilbrand on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Quite old. 5-7 years, maybe?

bmilbrand

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:47 pm

This looks relevant: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5561523

I googled "macbook pro usb shutdown"

danhalbert

by bmilbrand on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:02 am

danhalbert wrote:The idea is to get into the bootloader before the CircuitPython Drummer program has a chance to start up. Hopefully you'll get a solid green LED on the back and TRELM4BOOT will show up as a drive.

Dan,

I tried this and I have no lights on the front, but still a red light on the back. Still no connection to the laptop. I've tried this with multiple cables and multiple cables and I get the same result on each.

bmilbrand

by danhalbert on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am

Do you have a powered USB hub you can use? Also, did you do the reset of the SMC as described in that link above? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5561523

danhalbert

by bmilbrand on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am

danhalbert wrote:Do you have a powered USB hub you can use? Also, did you do the reset of the SMC as described in that link above? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5561523

I did reset the SMC on the MacBook Pro and that fixed the issue with the laptop going dark. It did not fix the issue with the Trellis. I do not have a USB Hub, but I have tried multiple cables on the following machines and all received the same result (Red LED and no Lights on the Front): MacBook Pro, HP Windows 10, ASUS Ubuntu, & A Windows 2012 Server.

bmilbrand

by jpmk12 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

I am also having an issue with my trellis not being recognized. I am having the same issues as described above. The program runs and produces sound, but I dont see the drive to upload to. I tried on Windows 10 and Linux.

When i followed the instruction, I just ended up with a red light on the back, but still cant see a drive to upload to.

Did anyone come up with any other ideas?

jpmk12

by bmilbrand on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:21 pm

danhalbert wrote:Do you have a powered USB hub you can use? Also, did you do the reset of the SMC as described in that link above? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5561523

Dan, Checking in to see if you have additional information or items to try. The subscription is for my daughter and we have not been able to program the Trellis into anything else.

bmilbrand

by danhalbert on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:38 pm

At this point let's do a return and replacement. Could you write to support@adafruit.com, giving a link to this thread? Say that a replacement has been authorized, and also that a return RMA "FORPHIL" has been authorized (assuming you live in the US). We're interested in taking a look and diagnosing this - we've seen similar issues elsewhere and aren't sure what the failure mode is. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

danhalbert

by profWG on Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi,
I have a recognition problem similar to other users, but with some new twists. 1) When attached to my computer (Win 10 Pro) the keypad is dark, but does light momentarily when key(s) are pressed. 2) When plugged in to the computer the device is not recognized by the usual My Computer, but is recognized by the Control panel under Devices and Printers. It shows ports COM and lpt1, and says Service Added (usb sec), but adds Device Requires Further Installation. I am completely stumped at this point.

Ordered 4/17/19, SN: 203706-1954023579 graebelw@asme.org

profWG

by danhalbert on Mon May 27, 2019 5:22 pm

profWG Please open a new thread for your problem, if you still have it. Otherwise your posts can get lost.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.