SOLVED : adabox011 : pyportal uf2 bootload is dead

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bitflung

Re: PLEASE HELP : adabox011 : pyportal uf2 bootload is dead

Post by bitflung »

The bootloader is generally OK. Otherwise Arduino wouldn't even work. It uses the bootloader to upload the sketch.
agreed
This is starting to look more like maybe issues we've seen with anti-virus and other 3rd part software. Take a look at this page and see if any of this applies:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting
Several of the scenarios result in CIRCUITPY not showing up.
i didn't have an issue with CIRCUITPY not showing up. when circuit python was installed CIRCUITPY showed up just fine.
i have a problem with PORTALBOOT actually installing uploaded UF2 images.

CIRCUITPY doesn't show up now because it is not installed on the device. I can't install it on the device because PORTALBOOT fails to program the UF2 file when i drag-drop it onto that drive. That's the primary issue here.

I'm using a work machine here, corporate IT controls the antivirus/etc. We use Windows Defender and I cannot disable it. However this has not been an issue when programming mbed boards using the same basic principal (drag and drop a hex file to a DAPLINK drive for mbed boards, versus UF2 file to a xxxBOOT drive in this case).

I have a chromebook and can try with that, but i have high confidence this is not the issue.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I have a chromebook and can try with that, but i have high confidence this is not the issue.
This would help a lot - just trying a different machine.

As another test for ability to accept a UF2, try the one attached. It's basically an Arduino program that will blink the little red LED. Nothing more. Drag the UF2 to PORTALBOOT same as you've been trying for the CP firmware.
blink-1000on-200off.UF2
(2 MiB) Downloaded 27 times

bitflung

Post by bitflung »

i'll be damned.
the chromebook worked!

your UF2 programmed properly, so did circuit python. it is fully up and running now.

that is such an odd problem to have... i can't fathom what would trigger it.
thanks for putting up with me here - i got frustrated in the middle of all this and you stayed calm and helpful. i appreciate that.

now i have to figure out how to fix whatever is stopping my PC from talking to the device properly. the chromebook is not a long term solution, it's so old and slow at this point... maybe it's time for a new one.

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Cool. Glad that worked.

So this just seems like something specific to that original PC? Given that it sounds like it's locked down by corporate IT, I'm not sure how much we will be able to do to sleuth out what might be happening. If we can figure it out, and it's something new, we can add it to our troubleshooting page. All the currently known quirks are on that page.

But for now, maybe just have some fun with board?

bitflung

Re: SOLVED : adabox011 : pyportal uf2 bootload is dead

Post by bitflung »

But for now, maybe just have some fun with board?
that's the plan right there!
my son is super excited (and so am i)

thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”